• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Where has every-one gone?

Started by Carole, Jun 01, 2019, 19:55:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

There used to be regular chit chat on this forum, but gradually over a period of time it has declined.  It can't just be due to holidays (I myself am in Spain at the moment), but just wondered where every-one has gone.  It is often days between replies to posts and even then not many replies. 

So where has every-one gone?

Facebook?
Other forums?
Other?

Carole

doug

Well, I`m here every day, Carole. Are you watching Brian Cox`s "The Planets" on the box? Not bad ... quite interesting. Enjoy Spain; it may be warm over there ... hope you didn`t get caught up with the football loonies... :lol:

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

ApophisAstros

Quote from: doug on Jun 02, 2019, 09:00:00
... hope you didn`t get caught up with the football loonies... :lol:

Doug.
Should be ok unless you are near Madrid.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Hugh

Like others, I am on the Forum almost every day but don't always want to comment.  As you identify, there is plenty of competition from other media sources which disseminate information ~ so  perhaps the right time to review how we do that and make it appropriate for our members?

Enjoy Spain.

Hugh

The Thing

There's only a few of us left Carole. As Hugh says, I look at everything that comes up on the forum but don't always comment. I think it should be compulsory for all members to make a post on the forum at least once a week ;)

Really, I think it should be promoted at monthly meetings more, the forum is only presented as a place for astrophotos, not a social venue, place to chat and more importantly get help and ask questions. Maybe if it was bigged up as such there would be more participation. I'm certainly always able and willing to pass on the stuff I've learned over the years and the forum is an excellent place to do it. Maybe even a short demo so people understand what it is and how it works, an automatic login setup for all three sites (OAS, Gallery, Forum) for new members, OAS web addresses on membership cards (and those tall banner things I saw at Mays meeting - no web address on them! Shocking!).

Just a few ideas - perfect fodder for the forum!

Miss you all,

Duncan

The Thing

Apparently there are currently 22 guests and only me online. Loads of lurkers? Or are they webbots?

Carole

Thanks to those who have replied.  Such a shame. But I think Duncan's idea of doing a live demo at the meeting might encourage more people to join.  Would need some kind soul to allow a WIFI hotspot from their mobile to do it.

Quotehope you didn`t get caught up with the football loonies... :lol:
There were a few on our plane, Spurs Supporters but well behaved.  Rather surprising since we flew to Gibraltar, but maybe all the Madrid flights were booked up.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Jun 02, 2019, 19:10:08

Quotehope you didn`t get caught up with the football loonies... :lol:
There were a few on our plane, Spurs Supporters but well behaved.  Rather surprising since we flew to Gibraltar, but maybe all the Madrid flights were booked up.

Carole
Also they double and triple the plane fares for this event so can be cheaper to fly slightly off and drive rest of way.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

doug

Duncan has hit the nail on the head with his comment; people are not using the Forum as it should be used. Thanks for your input on this, Duncan ... it needs people to say how we can improve it. I look at the Forum every day, usually to check for any images on there to put on my OAS Obs Offrs report, but also to look at members comments.

It would be nice to see new members commenting on the Forum as well; sometimes the "login" procedure can be quite daunting, like getting a password from the administrators. Even longstanding members can`t login to the Forum because of the difficulty.  So c`mon, peeble, get chatting.

Doug.

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Yes, we need to ask Klitos to look at why members are having difficulty getting in to the forum even with their password.  I have heard this comment a few times.

Carole

Carole

QuoteThere's only a few of us left Carole.
So are you saying those who have disappeared have gone for good?

Have they gone over the Facebook, or Cloudy Nights etc etc .

Carole

NoelC

Sorry, didn't notice this post coming up.
I rely on the email notification of what's posted to see whats what. 
Also I heard a reporter say recently 'Boris's ratings have gone up in the past month, but that is probably because he hasn't said anything...'   I kind of hope to achieve a Boris effect on occasions.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Rick

Quote from: Carole on Jun 03, 2019, 13:28:17why members are having difficulty getting in to the forum even with their password
I occasionally have to reset passwords after folk have forgotten their password, or have gone through the system's forgotten password process and somehow scrambled things. As far as I can tell, the most common error is probably either shift-key related, or down to stray spaces, though mobile phone keyboards may play a part too.

ApophisAstros

Perhaps its best if you do what i always do , tick the keep me signed on box then its done automatically every time you log in.
Roger

Carole

I think it is getting signed in the first place that new members are having the problem.
Carole