• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Imaging Session? What topics would be of interest?

Started by Roberto, May 24, 2019, 10:34:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hello All

I had been discussing with Carole doing an imaging session at my house to demonstrate some of my hardware/software if it would be of interest.  I had agreed with Carole I would do something in May but with a long break for holidays in April, I never got around to firming things up.
I would like to ask those interested in attending to help me decide/design what the topic should be.  I could talk about:

1 – Observatory control and acquisition software –
A – For DSOs: currently use Voyager but have used MaxPilote before coupled with MaxIM DL Pro.
B – Planetary/Solar/Lunar:  FireCapture
2 – Processing software –
   A – For DSOs:  use PixInsight almost exclusively but have used Photoshop previously
   B – Planetary/Solar/Lunar:  AutoStakkert, FitsWork, PixInsight but have used Registax, Avistack
3 – Hardware –
   If of interest – could talk about what units I have set up for RoR and weather control/monitoring.

Thanks

Roberto

Carole

I am disappointed to see no-one has yet replied to your kind offer Roberto.  Perhaps they are on holiday.

Carole

Roy

Hi I would be most interested, in particular data processing as I'd like to get Pixinsight but would like to see it being used before I buy and more information on Photoshop which I simply do not get on with at all, especially for processing astro images.

Roy

Roberto

Carole, Roy

Thank you. A vote for 2A. Let's hear from others and then agree.
Roberto

RobertM

I'd vote for all the topics and not leave any out though I'd need to know a couple of potential dates to ring-fence before knowing whether I'd be able to attend.

As a side note, I think it's important for people who are still learning to find out how more seasoned astronomers do things.  This can often save a lot of the pain as they would be able to bypass some of the more frustrating parts of imaging and, more importantly, understand why particular paths are taken.  The alternative is to go down one route which can be difficult to back out of once money has been spent and lesson learnt.

Robert

Carole

I agree with your comments Robert. 

Roberto I think when we were PMing each other you mentioned you use SGPro, if that is the case I would be interesting to see that in action, though I guess in some instances a live sky might be necessary.  So perhaps I might need to pop round to "yours" when you are actually imaging.

Speaking for myself, I have no interest in seeing Pixinsight as I have seen 3 previous demonstrations and came away feeling none the wiser except to decide to stick with Photoshop.  But will be interested in anything else on offer.

Carole

Roberto

Hi Carole
No, I don't use SGP. I've tried it and got it running but it didn't do everything I wanted (same with Prism) so I never went beyond the trial period. So I may not be best placed to demonstrate it.
Roberto

Carole

OK. 

Well I don't do planetary any more and not interested in Pixinsight, so I will leave it to others.

Carole

NoelC

Sorry Roberto
Thought I had replied.
I'm interested in 1&2.  Would also like to see your hardware too (what's RoR?).

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Roberto

Hi Noel

Noted.  RoR = Roll-off-Roof and yes, we can certainly go down to the observatory; weather permitting.
Thanks

Roberto

julian

Hi Roberto
I am just starting to get back into imaging and would be interested in the following.
1 – Observatory control and acquisition software using  Voyager .
2 – Processing software –
      PixInsight and Photoshop.
3 – Hardware –
I do have a DIY dome that I'm in the prosses of interfacing with lesvdome. I can control the dome via Laptop so nearly there.
I would also be interested in
A – Planetary/Solar/Lunar imaging 
B – Planetary/Solar/Lunar:  AutoStakkert, FitsWork, PixInsight Registax, Avistack.
Thanks
Julian

The Thing

Hi All,
I would be interested in all of the topics if I was able to take part :(

I'm learning Voyager at present and it looks very nice. If your interested in planetary imaging, PlanetarySystemStacker is the (very) new boy on the block. I've given it a go and got excellent results on some very mediocre videos, quite a lot better than Autostakkert!3. Worth a look. There are threads on Cloudy Nights

Duncan

Roberto

Hi Duncan

Thanks for the vote and the pointer to PSS - looks very interesting!

Roberto

Roberto

Resurrecting this thread to finalise on a date and topics to be covered.

I propose Friday 20 September or Saturday 21 September to start with.  I am aware Kelling is the week after so if these don't work, we could do the below in October.

I suggest that I cover:

1 – Observatory control, including hardware, and acquisition software - Voyager
2 - Processing software - PixInsight.

2 will include calibration of frames obtained in 1 and simple processing of LRGB image. 

I won't be able to cover either Voyager or PixInsight in much detail but just enough for people to see how my setup works.  I think we can do the above in 1.5-2hrs.  So perhaps the Saturday session during an afternoon is better? 
Any thoughts?

Roberto

Carole

I can do Saturday 21st but not Friday 20th.  Saturday afternoon works for me.

Thanks Roberto

Carole