• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Earth's Shadow from Cairds 13th May 2019

Started by Carole, May 14, 2019, 17:38:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Ever since Hugh showed his image of the Earth's Shadow taken from a cruise ship on the ocean and it is chosen for this month in the OAS Calendar I have been more aware of it.

Here it is showing quite nicely at Cairds last night. 

This is my kit in the camping Observatory and Dave Taylor's further along (non member) (the man who uses a baked bean tin to balance his Star adventurer - you may remember that photo).

Also note my Atik460EX attached to a camera lens and piggy backed on my ED120.  Hopefully I will have an image from that to post up.  With a ball head I was able to image two different targets at the same time.

MarkS

Nice picture of the earth's shadow and the Belt of Venus. 

Were you doing deep sky imaging last night?  I decided there was too much moon.

Mark

Carole

I did narrowband mainly Mark.  Even narrowband comes out better in a dark location. 

But I have tried over the last two nights to get some luminance with my Atik460EX and camera lens sitting on the ball head of the Antares Region.  Not ideal because of the Moon, or the fact that it is very low in the UK, but I thought, nothing ventured.

If it comes out OK I am going to add it to the DSLR data I did (for the colour component) 2 years ago in Spain.  If it hasn't come out OK, we are going back to Spain on 31st of this month, so will take the CCD camera, lens and Skytracker and do it again in Spain.  But with a cooled camera I need to take a laptop, 12v convertor etc, so will save me the bother if I could get it at Cairds.  Previous attempts have been unsuccessful from Cairds but that was with the DSLR.

Watch this space.  (Pun not intended lol)

Carole

MarkS

My experience of the last few months is that most of the clear nights congregate around the full moon :(

Mark

Carole

I have noticed that too. Very annoying.

Carole

Roberto

Nice landscape Carole.  The last few evenings have been very good in terms of seeing (extremely stable for UK standards); shame about the Moon as you say.
Best regards

Roberto

Carole