• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC7203 Iris Nebula in Cepheus, 2019-05-04,05 Manche, France

Started by The Thing, May 07, 2019, 12:18:57

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

This is 6 hours 27 minutes of data taken over two very dark nights, best I've had in ages and ages and at New Moon.

Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   TS1506UNC f4, TS Komakorr
Camera and filters used:   ZWO ASI294MC Pro, Baader Neodymnium 1.25" filter
Processing applied:   DSS 4.x, Startools, Gimp

Forgot all this stuff is recorded by DSS, very useful! I used Bilinear alignment, seems to produce better results every time, and used "Align RGB Channels in Final Image". They are master calibration frames.

Iris Nebula DSS List
Stacking mode: Standard
Alignment method: Bilinear
Stacking step 1 ->93 frames (ISO: -) - total exposure: 6 hr 27 mn 30 s
RGB Channels Background Calibration: No
Per Channel Background Calibration: No
Method: Median Kappa-Sigma (Kappa = 1.50, Iterations = 1)
-> No Offset -> Dark: 1 frames (ISO : -) exposure: 4 mn 10 s
-> Dark Flat: 1 frames (ISO : -) exposure: 5 s
-> Flat: 1 frames (ISO: -) exposure: 5 s

Click for larger version, cropped but not binned/resampled.

NoelC

Very good Duncan
Jealous of your weather!  Lots of cloud with some skimpy little clearings here.
Nebula looks really good, but the stars are brilliant too.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

Lovely star colour and dust Duncan. 
The dust would show up even better with a slight stretch.  Always difficult to get the centre of the nebula right as it is somewhat brighter than the rest.  Possibly needs some shorter subs for that bit.

On the whole a very pleasing and nicely processed image Duncan, your processing has stepped up a notch recently, so does this mean you have overcome any gremlins you had?

Carole

ApophisAstros

Nice looking image , always liked this target,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Thanks all.

Carole, if I'd processed in Pixinsight I would have used the special script for bringing out the dark patches and dust, which I suspect is how most people get that 3D dust effect. I may have a go on this image as the script input doesn't have to be linear.

RobertM

A tricky target that Duncan nicely captured and processed.

You must have been up till the wee hours capturing that one ?

Robert

MarkS

Lovely result Duncan!  Well processed - I love the dust and the star colours.  An object like this does need quite a few hours of data and you've done the right thing by spending a couple of nights doing the acquisition.

An all round great result.

Mark

Roberto

Fantastic result Duncan  8)  This is a tough object but your colours are spot on and the framing is great.

Roberto

The Thing

Thanks all. I must admit I'm very happy how it turned out.

MarkS

On a slightly different subject but related to your camera, have you seen this thread concerning a weird background effect in the red channel:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/661685-word-of-warning-asi294mc-pro-and-opt-triad-and-nb/

Mark

The Thing

Very interesting Matk. I don't use anything but a Baader Neodynium filter however I get a doughnut shape on flats. Never used to so I think its reflections in the scope, I have repainted the OTA and every screw and nut and just need a dark clear night to collimate and test it out properly.