• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSS not stacking Ha subs

Started by ApophisAstros, Apr 07, 2019, 18:32:14

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Lucky if i can get one to stack as stars are too small for DSS to detect even on lowest setting of 2, anyone know of software that can handle them better?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

How have you managed with Ha so far?  Has DSS been OK with other targets?

I use Astroart, but it's not free.  Never had a problem stacking with that.  DSS does seem much more sensitive to the the star threshold, had problems with it myself in the past.

I don't know of anything else that is free for stacking except Iris, but not easy to use.

Carole

The Thing

I assume you are using the latest version. Try turning  off the median filtering on the star detection threshold if the stars are very small as they are probably being filtered out. Also hot pixel detection if its checked anywhere may cause problems with very small stars. I would think that a higher % would be needed, when I get very sharp focus and so pointy stars I find I often need 60-80 % to get the star count down to around 100 (which is way more that you need, 8 is enough).
Are they mono subs? Make sure the debayer settings are correct and no background calibration is active (I never use it as it messes with colour data). Try stacking a straight average, it may be that the sigma stacking is wiping out the tiny stars if they are very dim due to the Ha filter.

HTH

Duncan

ApophisAstros

will try , thanks Duncan,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.