• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Society Visit to the Science Musem ~ Saturday 4th May 2019

Started by Hugh, Mar 23, 2019, 18:14:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh

Hi Everyone ~ the text below is a copy of a TOAST email that has gone to all members and is circulated here for information.  Replies to my email on ~ hugh.alford@ntlworld.com

OAS Visit to the Science Museum Saturday 4th May 2019

Dear Society Member,

At the Society meeting in October 2018, I gave the outline of a proposed society visit to the London Science Museum in 2019 and we have now set a date for this event as laid out below. If there are enough members attending (10+), then we should qualify for a group rate.

Start time: 10.30am Prompt! Meet outside the Science Museum Main Entrance in Exhibition Road, Kensington, London, SW7 2DD

The intention is that we visit the two exhibits highlighted below as a group, with the rest of the day free for you to enjoy the museum at your leisure.  If you would like to be part of the visit, I would ask that you reply to me via this email as soon as possible indicating your intention to attend. This will be followed up at the March and April OAS Society Meetings when you can give money for the ticket(s) to Sue.

No of tickets for 'The Sun ~ Living With Our Star'
(Please note that this exhibition finishes on 6th May 2019)

Under 60yrs_____ 60+years_____ Disabled ____ Child____
£13.50                 £12.60            £11.70                 free

No of tickets Tim Peak Virtual Re Experience all £7

Under 60yrs ____ over 60 yrs ____ Disabled____ Child 13-16 only____
For more information on location and exhibits available see the website:

https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

Food and Drink: -Picnic areas are located on levels -1 and 3 for those wishing to self-refresh. Light refreshments are available from the Basement Cafe, also on level -1 which would allow closer eating arrangements for the differing groups. Those wanting something a little more substantial might want to use the Energy Cafe' located on level 0.

Mobility and Access: -At the moment everywhere has step-free access EXCEPT access to the Mezzanine level. However, they are working to cure the specific problem and this may be completed by the time we attend.

Travel
For those wishing to travel on their own ~ please arrive in time to meet outside the main entrance to the Science Museum in Exhibition Road to start the visit at 10.30 am prompt.  I am looking to book the first group visit for 11.00am

To assist those who prefer to travel in a group, Sue and Roy will be at Victoria Station Concourse by Platforms 4 and 5 at 9.45am to meet up and continue the journey as a group via the circle line to South Kensington and the Science Museum (Contact Sue for her mobile number).

From Victoria Main Line Railway Station the methods of travel to the Science Museum are: -

London Underground (from Victoria): -
Circle or District Line (Westbound) two stops to South Kensington. From there about a 10 minute slow walk via the street or slightly less via the Underground walkway which exits the station and allows you to walk North bringing you out right next to the museum (this route allows you to miss the traffic and junctions). A London Underground map is available via the link as below for information. No cost for Freedom Pass users.

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube

Bus: -
Route C1 from Victoria Station takes you to stop at South Kensington near the museums, then a short walk up Exhibition Road to the museum entrance. See map below for pick-up point. Please note that this indicates that the C1 runs from Victoria Station forecourt. However, on-going works there do alter pick up points from time to time. A bus route map from Victoria Station is available via the link below. No cost for Freedom Pass users.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/victoria-2277-by-bus.pdf

Taxi: -
Taxis are available at Victoria Station and signs should be followed for the taxi rank available from Platform 1 side of the station. Cost as incurred by route taken.

I look forward to your positive response. 

Hugh Alford

Carole

As you know this clashes with DSC, so I won't be booking, but will come at the last minute if DSC gets cancelled.

Would have liked to have gone on this, so if any-one else also can't go on this date but would like to go with me on an earlier date, please let me know.

Carole

ApophisAstros

I went last year , not withstanding any special presentations i was disappointed i wonder if its anything since they stopped charging as that was the previous time i went about 20 years ago and was more impressed then,same with a couple of others but the Victoria & Albert always impresses.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Hugh

Sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing experience there the last time you went, Roger.  The last time for me was about two or so years ago when I saw the exhibition of Russian space hardware and have to say it was one of the best things I have ever seen ~ made all the better by actual Russian assistants who told us the most wonderful stories.  I've already done the Tim Peake Virtual Reality experience and it is quite something, especially if you have never tried VR before.  A Committee member has recently been to the Museum and thoroughly recommends the 'Sun - Living with our Star' exhibition and I'm hoping that we can persuade one of the visitor co-ordinators who are generally about to speak to us during the visit.  So far my liaison with the Science Museum has been very positive.

Best

Hugh

doug

The last time Rose and I were there, we saw an exhibition of various interactive robots, including ASIMO, and a robotic Japanese girl. All very good and it was worth the visit.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Delphine

Very dissappointed as I can't go.  I will be on holiday until the 7th May.
Delphine

NoelC

Yep - I'll be there.
Also went to the Cosmonauts Exhibition last year (brilliant) but attended a talk by the curator, which gave a fascinating insight into what the museum and staff have to go through to put these things on.  They had to cut out sections of the handrails around the exhibition halls to get the soyuz capsules in, and spent reams of paper on the safety protocols for the exhibition because the Russians use asbestos as their heat shield.

Should be a great day, looking forward to it.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Hugh

Thanks Noel ~ there will be a list at the meeting tonight where you can add your name.

When I went to the Russian exhibition, I also heard some of the stories about pre-exhibition problems (or trying to avoid them), which included inflating a large ballon to the same size as the space capsules and then using those to gauge whether or not they could get them into the display area!!

Best

Hugh

Roberto

Hugh, All

I had registered to go with my wife and daughter tomorrow and unfortunately will have to cancel last minute.  Both of them have gone down with a nasty cold and it would be a bit rich to leave them behind nursing it whilst I'm away...
Hope you all have a great time.

Roberto

Roy

Sorry that you cannot come tomorrow Roberto but quite understand. I hope that your wife and daughter will recover soon. There have been some nasty bugs about this spring. We will try and obtain a refund on your tickets when we arrive in the morning.

Kind regards, Sue.

Roberto

Hi Sue
Thank you. Don't worry about the tickets! Enjoy the VR experience!
Roberto

Roy

Hugh,

Thanks for organising such an enjoyable visit.

Roy

Roy

Carole

NoelC

Thanks for organising this trip Hugh.
It was a really good day.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Hugh

Hi Roy and Noel

Thanks for the credit for the organisation of the visit but I'm happy to share this with Sue whose advice was very valuable and also gave time and dealt with some attendance issues whilst I was away last weekend.  Let's say we made a good team!

Elaine and I both really enjoyed the day as well - the social side as much as the exhibitions.  Still can't get over the size of the mock BepiColombo spacecraft!

Best

Hugh