• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp 1 - 3rd March Cairds

Started by Carole, Feb 20, 2019, 09:01:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

There is a Deep sky camp planned for the above dates at Cairds.  Though some of us are arriving a day early on the Thursday.

As usual this is weather dependent.
The field condition in the wet weather is not always suitable for vehicles, but currently the campsite owner says it is OK and there is no rain forecast between now and the camp, so fingers crossed.

5 6 people so far have indicated they plan to attend.

Carole (Van)
Julian (van)
Michael (Van)
Roland (POD)
Dave (van)
+/- Mark (Tent)

Let me know if any-one else would like to come. 

Carole

MarkS

I'm tentative.

If I'm coming (I'm not sure yet) I'm in a tent  ;)

Mark

Carole

That would be great Mark.

Weather forecast is a bit iffy for the weekend at the moment, but looking better than the long range forecast was predicting a couple of days ago.

Will decide on Wednesday I think as 3 of us are planning to go on Thursday.

Carole

Carole

We will make a decision on Wednesday as to whether this is GOTO or not depending on the weather forecast which currently doesn't look optimistic, but too far ahead to be sure at the moment.

All those interested in coming, I will also E mail so keep an eye on here and on your E mails.

Carole

The Thing

Oooh. I really miss DSCs. Makes me want to get on a ferry. It'll be great whatever the weather. You could always talk about Brexit to cheer yourselves up under the clouds!

Carole

QuoteI really miss DSCs.
We miss you too.  You should try to get over for one, coincide it with one of your trips to England.

Carole

Carole

Forecast is not looking good for this weekend.  Will make a decision tomorrow (Weds). 

I am now asking if any-one would be interested for the following weekend 8 - 10th as a back up as the Moon sets early. 

So far I have 2 interested.

Caroler

Carole

Well the forecast is looking like mainly cloud and some rain for all of the days, so I think this camp is cancelled unfortunately. 

Let's see what the following week brings,  8 - 10th March, but I think we have used up all the good weather over the last few days.

Please confirm you have seen this message either here or by E Mail if you were planning to come.

Carole

julian

Hi Carole
Thanks for the updates over the last few days.
I can't make the following weekend.
Ps thanks for the work you put in for the DSC.
next one is Kelling. :D

Julian

ApophisAstros

i am thinking of coming for maybe sun and or mon 17th/18th , if it happens and sleeping in the car and just pay for pitch.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Are you sure you mean 17th and 18th Roger, it will be a waxing gibbous Moon? 

Carole

Carole

Well Thursday 7th & Saturday 9th are currently looking promising.

So far I have coming:

Myself
Dave
Michael
Roland (hopefully)
Mark possibly

MarkS

I'm bailing out.  Not much hope of clear sky and those gusting wind speeds look interesting:  building up to 55mph on Sunday

Mark

Carole

Yes it's not looking great for Friday and Saturday.  Annoying about the wind as Sunday looks the clearest sky.

I am going down tomorrow but not sure how long I will stay.

Carole

Carole

Thursday afternoon and evening were not very nice
wind and some rain. It it is also VERY boggy here and definitely not suitable for sleeping in a tent. I am surprised Pete said we could come down. Will have to be hauled out by the tractor. 

But the good news is we had a gloriously clear sky from after 1am and the wind dropped and it was 't particulary cold.

Coming home today though as tonight and saturday are not good.  So you made the right decision Mark.

Carole

Carole

Photo of the tow tracks, (after I had changed my mud caked shoes and did not want to walk back onto the field for a closer view).

Cropped close up.  Reminds me of the infamous Stairs farm battle of the Somme trip: