• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Weather forecasts are pants

Started by Carole, Jan 08, 2019, 11:17:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

They are so unreliable.

Firstly I look at several sites and they often say opposite things.

Two nights ago it was forecast for 2 - 3 hours clear on 3 out of 4 sites.  Was not clear at all.

Last night it was forecast to be cloudy and it was suddenly clear for about 3 hours.  I almost went to bed and didn't bother, but for the hell of it looked out the window and saw Orion beaming back at me.

I am currently using the following sites:

yr.no (normally right about 90% of the time).
BBC Weather (usually pretty good)
Clear outside
Sat24
Met office is often wrong  :!

Also last week I was looking at Sat24 and it was showing clouds, yet there I was with clear skies, how does that work?

Any other suggestions for a more reliable site?

Generally I go with what the majority say, but that didn't work last night.

Carole

The Thing

Its all a Chinese plot to make out global warming is real!!!!!!! And Trumps a genius, best President ever. Brexit is fun. Weather forecasts are always spot on. The Moon is made of cheese on the back side.

Pick the true statement from the above and give your reasons in not more than a lot of words.

The Thing

Btw Its cloudy here just now with not a cloud in the sky.

Carole

MarkH

Carole, if you Google cloud radar UK there are plenty of sites which show you a real time set of immages of the cloud Patterns approaching us. If you do this around dusk you can predict the cloud approaching pretty accurately . The point being it's not guesswork or a forecast, you are seeing what is actually there. Hope that helps.

Carole

Is this any different to Sat24?

Carole

MarkH

There are others better than than that with better detail but that gives you the general Idea.

Carole

I tried it but can't seem to find a "night time view", so can't see the clouds.

Have you got a link?

Carole

Carole

Well the last two nights it has been cloudy when it was forecast to be clear, and clear when it was supposed to be cloudy!!!!!

Just had the biggest plane ever right through one of my subs, must have been low.   :(

MarkH

The point I was trying to make was if you veiw at dusk , you can see what cloud is moving towards you for the next 6-8 hours. So you have a good idea of whether it will be clear, intermittent or cloudy, by looking at the cloud pattern coming toward you.

MarkH

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Jan 08, 2019, 22:43:09
Just had the biggest plane ever right through one of my subs, must have been low
Might it have been a police helicopter India 99, they have a million lumens search light.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I wasn't outside to see but I didn't hear a helicopter go over.  Also the set of wide apart lines and lights looks like the typical trail of a plane, but just a darn sight closer than a normal plane trail.

Carole