• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC2170 LRGB

Started by Carole, Dec 11, 2018, 20:30:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I started this in November and it was very noisy.  Of course it is rather low in the UK between Sirius and Alnitak.

This was the November process with half the amount of data:
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=11513.0

This was a processing nightmare as I had data from November, data from Friday Night at DSC on the dual rig (so some on each camera scope combi), then I swapped the scopes and cameras round as I had tried to use a larger FOV on the Friday, but went back to my matching dual rig on Sunday night, and some data was binned.  Plus a meridian Flip!!!

Head was spinning trying to process and combine all the different permutations.

Anyway, much happier with this result than the one in November.

Atik460EX/ED80 or WOZS71
Atik428EX/WOZS71 or ED80
HEQ5, finderguider QHY5

Combined some data from November with the new December data.

Approx 5h 55mins in Luminance - most 600secs but some 300secs binned
3 1/2 hours RGB - 300secs binned

Lost the plot with how many subs there were of each type.

Grand total 9 hours 25 mins

Still a bit noisy, but I think considering it's low and probably faint, and I have limited opportunities it's a bit of a tall order.  Don't look too close.  :cheesy:

NoelC

Looks really good Carole.
The dark nebulosity stands out very well against the background.  A very tricky target, well done.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

Thanks Noel. 

QuoteA very tricky target
Yes you are right, I might even give it one more session if I ever get the opportunity.

Carole

MarkS

I like the colours in that image.

More data would obviously help but it's clearly an interesting object.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark.  It is certainly interesting and quite a challenge.  There has been a significant improvement since the attempt I made in November, but whether I will get another opportunity for more data is probably unlikely, certainly for this year. 

I already did 9 1/2 hours, so perhaps it is one of those targets that is faint and comes out better done from lower latitudes.

Carole

Carole

I reduced the brightness in the sky background a bit.