• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Windows 10 Update 1809 - Desktop unavailable

Started by NoelC, Dec 07, 2018, 09:52:31

Previous topic - Next topic

NoelC

Just encountered a poison update on Windows 10.  I think it was 1809.  It takes forever to install then says C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop unavailable when you reboot (which is very odd, because it's running a 64 bit system).  The desktop comes up with black desktop, a wastebin and nothing else!  Apparently a known problem with this version and completely insoluble without a Phd in Windows.  If you reboot, it goes through the whole dance again (re-applying the update) with the same result.

I think you get one chance to fix it, first time round by using task manager to initiate a cmd window, in which you will have to copy a version of the desktop in another profile - but unfortunately I missed that chance.  Failing that apparently you have to  create a repair disk or bootable system disk or re-install Windows.
One of my Observatory PCs is now lying dead until I can figure this out.
More info here:-
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-desktop-unavailable-after-updates/3e657f22-bfdf-42dd-b307-1fb77018c6d2
The suggestions by Microsoft that this is due to third party AV software are false in my case as I was using Windows Defender.
Anyone else encountered this?
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

ApophisAstros

wWhat system and computer are you using  Noel.
when was this applied as i cant find this anywhere.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

One of the reasons l avoid W10.  Would not be able to cooe with this sort of stuff.
Hope you manage to sort it Noel.
Carole

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Dec 09, 2018, 07:06:43
One of the reasons l avoid W10.  Would not be able to cooe with this sort of stuff.
Hope you manage to sort it Noel.
Carole
In all the years since Windows 10 i have never had an eroneous update  or any problems with when the update happens as i set when i want updates to be applied.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

NoelC

Roger
It's a small media PC (Sumvision Cyclone Mini PC 2).  It was running Windows 10 Home X64.  I use it to run PHD, CdC, APT in my OBO.  It's a nice little unit, boots in 30 seconds and has a SSD all run on 12V.  It's my spare, so hadn't been switched on for a month - hence the update.  I think it was build 1809, because 1803 came out in April (1809 came out recently).  Can't confirm that because nothing is working at present (manufacturer recommends re-install).

ApophisAstros

Noel,
can you boot into "safe mode" or not as this can help sometimes,
Roger

NoelC

Roger
Finally got it working again (system restore).
Followed up your suggestion of safe booting it. In windows 10 apparently you have to turn it on and off 4 times to get it to go into the rescue screen (which I did), at which point it gave me the option to restore (re-install) the system.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Safe mode is supposed to be one of the options there, but suspect the system was so badly messed up it wasn't an option in this case.