• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

December DSC

Started by Carole, Nov 19, 2018, 11:18:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Depending on the weather forecast and ground conditions, hoping to have an UDSC on the weekend of 7 - 9th December to catch those winter constellations.

I have E Mailed the DSC group, so this notice is for any-one else who might be interested.

Carole

julian

Hi Carole
Can't do the Friday as it's that time of year for us workers. (work Christmas drink up )
May do Saturday if I'm up to it.
Julian

Carole

OK thanks Julian.  I'll keep you in the loop.

Carole

MarkS

I'm a possible ...

Mark

Carole

Great, so far I have 7 people interested. and Pete says the field condition is OK at the moment. 

Roland (from SGL) POD  Car problems now can't come
Myself Van
Mark (possible) Tent
Julian (Sat only) Van
Michael (Possible) Van
RayD (from SGL) Cabin  POD
Dave T (From SGL) Van

Carole

Carole

Seven SIX people now planning to come, see last post.  This (if it goes ahead weather depending) will be the largest DSC gathering we have had for some time.

Currently (as of 30/11/2018) Saturday is looking a possibility, but it's too far ahead to be sure.

Carole

Carole

This is now ON as there is some clear sky forecast over the next few days.

Unfortunately several people can no longer come for various reasons.

Dave - definite from Saturday
Carole - Definite from Friday
Michael was coming but not heard any more from him.
Mark?
Julian ? Saturday

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
This is now ON as there is some clear sky forecast over the next few days.

Unfortunately several people can no longer come for various reasons.

Dave - definite from Saturday
Carole - Definite from Friday
Michael was coming but not heard any more from him.
Mark?
Julian ? Saturday

I can't make it but I hope you have a good time.  It might be pretty breezy Friday night and Saturday night, so batten down the hatches!

Mark

Carole

Got a little bit done on Friday, was very windy even with my observatory tent it was too much at times.  Nothing on Saturday.
But tonight (Sunday) is looking promising.  Hopefully the wind will drop to half by tonight.

Just me and Dave here.

Carole

Carole

Just got back, stayed 3 nights and Dave T stayed 2 nights, every-one else cancelled for a variety of different reasons.

Friday: Windy and a small amount of clear sky, but mostly cloud dodging.  Ground a bit squelchy but firm underneath.
Saturday:  Still windy and rain, no clear skies, but ground firmer.
Sunday: Wind dropped, nice day and several hours of clear night sky.
Monday: Pack up day nice and sunny and no wind.  But still had to be hauled out of the field by the tractor as the ground wasn't quite firm enough to cope with the slope.

Great DSC even if only two people there, quite rare to get the chance in December.

Probably no further opportunities until March now, but will keep an UDSC on the cards in case weather and ground conditions might be OK. 

Carole

Carole

I think Dave and I were dead lucky to have gone last weekend.  It might have been windy and wet on Saturday, but it wasn't the bitter freezing cold of this weekend.

Carole