• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Unusual Counterweights

Started by ApophisAstros, Nov 18, 2018, 07:25:23

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Couldnt find my extender bar so had to make do!!
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

doug

That`s nearly as good as a tin of Heinz baked beans which somebody used.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Lol, yes, we should have a competition as to who can do the funniest counterweight.

I also heard of some-one going to an astro party and forgetting his counterweights.  So he filled up a pringle pot with stones and strapped it to his counterweight bar with duck tape.

I also resorted to adding a pair of spanners to my counterweights once just to make up the difference and tied them on with some knicker elastic I had lying around for some reason.

Carole

NoelC

My goodness; what are you mounting on there?
Does it work?
You could always slop some mortar on it if it starts to move around I suppose.
Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

ApophisAstros

Quote from: NoelC on Nov 18, 2018, 13:37:14
My goodness; what are you mounting on there?
Does it work?
You could always slop some mortar on it if it starts to move around I suppose.
Noel
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

Nice knackered brick , circa 1970? I see you have a collection in the background or is that for defence against the neighbours!

Just to be boring. You should really have plenty of counterweight and keep it close to the point of pivot to minimise oscillations, moment of inertia and such forth. Keep it balanced ish and the weight should not be a problem, the bearings will take a car, the casting probably less... Extension bars are maybe not such a good idea.

ApophisAstros

Quote from: The Thing on Nov 18, 2018, 14:27:22
Nice knackered brick , circa 1970? I see you have a collection in the background or is that for defence against the neighbours!

Just to be boring. You should really have plenty of counterweight and keep it close to the point of pivot to minimise oscillations, moment of inertia and such forth. Keep it balanced ish and the weight should not be a problem, the bearings will take a car, the casting probably less... Extension bars are maybe not such a good idea.

Without the brick it was far too heavy west and east not just a little which aides guiding.
Roger

MarkS

Ha ha!  I've done similar.

As long as the brick doesn't shift position, you'll be fine.

Mark