• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Help needed with a skywatcher guidescope holder

Started by ApophisAstros, Oct 31, 2018, 12:28:15

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

If anyone has one.
Just got one and it looks and works fine but i have a question about the vertical adjustment ie the silver wheel , it seems to have  an allen key inside on its spindle and i wonder if this is a locking nut after you have synchronised the mounts , can't find anything on "Goo-oracle".
TIA
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I have never used a locking nut after synchronisation Roger.  Didn't even know there was one.  I have found this mounting system very sturdy and doesn't shift once in position.

HTH

Carole

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Oct 31, 2018, 12:33:21
I have never used a locking nut after synchronisation Roger.  Didn't even know there was one.  I have found this mounting system very sturdy and doesn't shift once in position.

HTH

Carole
I just thought in storage you might slightly move it  ?
roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I guess that is possible, but I always check the alignment of the two cameras each time I use it.  It never shifts provided you don't touch the wheel for altitude and black adjustment bolt for azimuth and the wheel needs a bit of pressure to make it shift. 

Sometimes I get the black bolt confused with the puck retaining nut and turn the wrong one if I am not careful but that's the only time I have much adjustment to do,  The guidescope mount is very solid.

Carole

RafalK

That black hex screw is called "grub screw" (or "set screw" in american english). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_screw

Its main and only purpose is to stop the wheel rotating freely on the adjusting screw. I would not be touching it unless there is need to take the aparatus apart. However I can thing of other ways to aid securing the settings of the guider, e.g. replacement of the grease covering the main screw for a more sticky grease should help.