• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A few images from last week: LBN782 in Taurus and comet 38P near NGC2392

Started by Roberto, Nov 11, 2018, 10:52:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Fay, thank you!

Mark, I would have to go over my data but I guess at least 1000 ADU lower in my L channel at that time.
Visually, it's the only time I've seen the Milky Way from my backyard.

Roberto

Carole

I am just up the Road in Bromley, and I can't say I have noticed any different after 1am.  Maybe I should examine my ADU next time I do LRGB.  Never seen MW in these parts, I can only see some of the major stars at best.

Carole

ApophisAstros

I suppose its possible to have dark hotspots to a certain extent , i have reasonable dark skies in Worting, i am guessing that i am shielded from northern cities/towns on one side North by the south downs and there's not a lot of light coming off the sea  to the south 3 miles away, obviously different factors for Bromley .
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

You live right by the A21 in the heart of Bromley Carole. No ones going to turn off any lights there! The edges of Petts Wood are a prime spot to turn of down the lights and of course when everyone's in bed their lights are off and cars tucked up for the night so fewer headlamps. My streetlights in France are off from 11 to 6 for miles around and it's astonishing that even here in the sticks a few lights makes such a difference. The French have strong and comprehensive light pollution legislation covering all public and private lighting - you can't have any lights on at any business an hour after the premises is vacated for instance, including shopfronts.

BTW lovely piccies Roberto:)

Roberto

We can organise an observing session at my place in the future. It does improve after neighbors go to bed but in the early hours the London glow reduces also. I have seen the MW a couple of times in early spring when the summer constellations are at the zenith around those times.  The winter MW is a glow but not as prominent.
Roberto

Carole

QuoteWe can organise an observing session at my place in the future.
Sounds good Roberto. 

Carole