Author Topic: Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount  (Read 23 times)

RobertM

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Class
Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount
« on: Nov 10, 2018, 11:34:54 »
As some of you are aware I’ve been using a Star Adventurer for a while now and the results have been very good.  Having had a few of these portable mounts I generally consider the SA the best I’ve used so far.  One thing has been outstanding on my list of “wants” from a tracking mount and that is the option to auto guide (and by definition the option to dither); it’s been on my mind for a while but since I’d not seen any portable alternatives I was beginning to feel that this was a lost cause.

Enter the Skywatcher AZ-GTi...  a cheap lightweight tracking mount with a 5kg load capacity and port for a Skywatcher handset ala. HEQ5 etc. This also opens up the possibility of using an EQDirect cable to auto guide and GoTo.  Now I hear you say “but it’s altaz” and yes you are right but SW have also introduced firmware that allows it to be used in equatorial mode as well using a suitable wedge (think Star Adventurer).

From what I’ve read the auto guided performance is quite reasonable up to about 200-300mm f/l.  It also has a built in WiFi hub which would allow connection to planetarium programs, encoders, a snap port (which is what I use on the SA) for triggering the Sony A7S (thinking N.I.N.A. here)  and can run off internal or external batteries.

I’m sure there are going to be some negatives but I’ve just ordered one so will find out soon.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t affect too many clear nights !

Robert

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
Re: Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2018, 13:43:46 »
Interesting report Robert. Will bear this in mind and watch your progress.

Carole