• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Crescent Nebula 2 different cameras

Started by Carole, Nov 04, 2018, 22:18:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I took this with two different set ups, as I wanted to try out my new (2nd hand) Atik428EX which I bought to replace my Atik314L as it has better resolution.  So this is first light for the camera, and a test to see if I was happy with it. 

The first image is taken with Atik428EX/ED80
HEQ5
Ha 10 x 600
Oiii 19 x 300 binned
Total time 3h 15m
(plus added RGB stars from my other camera).

2nd image is a larger FOV as I was set up so as to be able to do small targets with one camera and large targets with the other.  So a dual rig which did not match.

Atik460EX & WOZS71 on HEQ5
Ha 12 x 600
Oiii 7 x 300 binned x 2
RGB stars 4 x 150 Binned x 2

Total 3h 25mins

The Thing

I would say they are both excellent. The first image is a little soft. I take it these are from your back garden?

Carole

Thanks Duncan, I'd never be able to get the Oiii bubble from Bromley.  No taken at Cairds.  I think I over did star reduction.  Have amended the first image.

Carole

Carole

Finally, the combined data from both cameras:

Combined image from both cameras.

Total of 6h 40mins
Atik428EX/ED80
Atik460EX/WOZS71
HEQ5

Total Ha 22 x 600
Oiii 19 x 300 binned x 2
Oiii 9 x 600
RGB stars 4 x 150 binned (each filter)

JohnP

Nice images Carole - When you are talking about resolution do you mean size of pixels or the number. TBH I have been comparing your image with one I took of same subject with same scope ED80 from Bromley with your old Atik 314L (which I love) & I can't see much difference in what has been recorded (i.e the fine details/ number of stars etc.). Granted yours is in colour & much wider FOV with background dust showing. Great images though.

John

Carole

Thanks John.

Don't ask me about pixel sizes etc etc, I have been burying my head in the sand for years when it comes to this sort of thing, but I am just going by some calculations that Roy and Noel did for me recently and found that the Atik314L is undersampling on two of my scopes. This also concurs with a chart that Atik have on their website. 

Also I have been getting VERY blobby Luminance stars on the Atik314L on the W0ZS71 and I can only presume this is the reason why. 

See below where I have worked out the Atik314L/focal length - and see the Atik428EX is up nearer the top with my Atik460EX.

MarkS

Carole

NoelC

Well done Carole - that is so good.
You've picked up a whole load of background nebulosity too.

Outstanding processing as well as shooting.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

Thanks Noel.  I am going to E mail you about YOUR crescent.

Carole

JohnP

Thks for that Carole - OK explains why I'm happy with 314L images & ED80 - just falls in acceptable range according to chart. Cheers, John