• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC report Oct 2018

Started by Carole, Oct 07, 2018, 14:35:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Only Mark and myself from OAS plus some non members, Lorenzo and Roland from SGL, plus a surprise
visit from potential new OAS member Michael with his brother Darren and their Dad Roger they stayed for one night.

I came a day early and am stopping a day longer. 

Thursday was partly clear then very foggy.
Friday was fairly clear for half the night. 
Saturday it rained most of the day and was very windy but Roland
and l stayed up and waited for possible clear skies and got a couple of hours from 2am.
Sunday night - clear most of the night but only me there.

Was great socially as usual.

Here's to next month's DSC.

Carole

MarkS

You'll be pleased to know the expensive Canon image stabilised binoculars that were sitting in a puddle in my tent (because the rain got in) are now fully dried out and working perfectly :)

Carole

I bet you are relieved Mark.  Did you confess to Dee or have you got away with it - lol?

Packing up today there was a huge hairy spider in my camping obsy (quite different to the house spider). 
Having arachnophia I did not want to be folding up my obsy tent with such a large spider inside, and having no-one else around I had to try to deal with it.  Found a white see through cereal bowl in the van, and ripped a white piece of cardboard from my writing pad to put underneath, but this was too floppy to stay flat.  So I then found a stiff table mat to push underneath the cardboard (but the table mat on its own was not large enough to use.

The spider escaped twice from the cereal bowl while I was hunting for cardboard and the table mat.   I don't think it appreciated my efforts to save its life, but eventually I managed to carry it outside and release it with said bowl cardboard and mat.

Was up until dawn last night as it was clear most of the night with occasional passing clouds.  Unfortunately I had some technical problems with one of my cameras and lost about 2 hours worth of data which either captured as blanks or did not save - need to try to get a diagnosis on this.

Overall a most enjoyable weekend.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
I bet you are relieved Mark.  Did you confess to Dee or have you got away with it - lol?

Packing up today there was a huge hairy spider in my camping obsy (quite different to the house spider). 
Having arachnophia I did not want to be folding up my obsy tent with such a large spider inside, and having no-one else around I had to try to deal with it.  Found a white see through cereal bowl in the van, and ripped a white piece of cardboard from my writing pad to put underneath, but this was too floppy to stay flat.  So I then found a stiff table mat to push underneath the cardboard (but the table mat on its own was not large enough to use.

The spider escaped twice from the cereal bowl while I was hunting for cardboard and the table mat.   I don't think it appreciated my efforts to save its life, but eventually I managed to carry it outside and release it with said bowl cardboard and mat.

Was up until dawn last night as it was clear most of the night with occasional passing clouds.  Unfortunately I had some technical problems with one of my cameras and lost about 2 hours worth of data which either captured as blanks or did not save - need to try to get a diagnosis on this.

Overall a most enjoyable weekend.

Carole

Yes - I showed Dee her binoculars - all misted up on the inside.  Anyway I managed to open the case slightly and then left them in the sun for a few hours.  They seem to have dried out OK and the image stabilisation is still working.

Glad you managed to deal with the spider.

Keep some of those bad frames - they could aid diagnosis of the problem.  Annoying to lose so much imaging time :(

Mark

Carole

QuoteKeep some of those bad frames - they could aid diagnosis of the problem.
I tried to look for them this evening now I am home and I can't find them at all now. :!  will give it another try tomorrow when I am less tired.

QuoteAnnoying to lose so much imaging time
It certainly is, I must have lost over 2 hours of data, and because I thought I was chugging away on the Atik314 with luminance, I didn't spend so much time on the luminance on the other camera where I was also capturing RGB.

Carole