• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp 5 - 7th October

Started by Carole, Sep 28, 2018, 21:26:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Most of the regulars know about the DSC next weekend and it is in the calendar, but am posting this here in case any new members are interested.

We go to Cairds Campsite in East Sussex usually Friday afternoon and stop until Sunday, though there is nothing to stop any-one coming earlier or staying later if they wish. 

I have been told the field is quite firm at the moment and currently the forecast for Saturday evening is looking good, though there is some wind forecast.

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Ticehurst/long.html

The Campsite owner is on holiday in Canada, so its probably best not to try to contact him.  He has left a deputy in charge of the camp.  There is no need to book:

Prices per night:
Tents are £ 12
Van £13
Caravan  £14
There is possibly a Cabin available which has a bed and a kettle but no other facilities attached to the cabin.

If any-one who is not on my mailing list wants to come please let me know, and I will try to find out the phone number of the campsite deputy.

Thanks
Carole

Carole

Participants so far:

Mark
Carole
Lorenzo
Jon Collins (Past OAS member)
Roland - has booked the POD

Rafal = thinking about it
Julian

julian

Hi all
I can't make this weekend.
Julian

Carole

Shame Julian, I only put you on the list as you said to me a while back you were able to come.

Carole

Carole

Current forecast is clear for Thursday and Friday. Saturday = rain until midnight but might have some clear skies after that. 

Carole

MarkS

I'll probably arrive around 7pm on Friday and I'm already looking forward to my Saturday morning fry-up!

Mark

Carole

Forecast has changed already.

Thursday now clear until midnight
Friday part cloud
Saturday rain the evening and then clear after midnight.

I think we are just going to have to see what the weather brings.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Wednesday and Thursday look good here (Worthing), still got my scope setup and covered.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

RafalK

Unfortunately, to me this weather forecast looks bad enough. I feel like I would end up not seeing much but getting all the gear wet. I'm out.

Carole

Thursday is now looking clear (depending on which website you look at  :!), so may go Thursday.  Friday and Saturday are currently only forecast for part clear skies and some rain on Saturday, but as you all know this can change again.  Will look again tomorrow morning.

Carole

Carole

Weather is not perfect but I think there is enough clear sky to make it worth going.

I may well go tomorrow (Thursday), so see you all down there. 

Carole