• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Rob_Wilson, Mar 03, 2005, 04:50:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob_Wilson

Hi, having seen the article in Astronomy Now I thought I'd have a look at the website.  There are some very impressive pictures in there (clearly the stars not necessarily the people) which suggests there is a lot of advice lurking here for a beginner like me.
I presume a sturdy pair of binoculars and plenty of enthusiasm will be enough for me to join society so I will hopefully (young family and busy life permitting) join you at one of your meetings soon.
All the best
Rob

Ian

Hi Rob,

it'd be good to see you at the meetings. Just an initial word of advice. Don't consider selling said young family to buy astro kit. I tried it, but you don't get as much as you used to for them :sad:
My recommendations, buy a reasonable pair of binoculars then turn up to the observing evenings, make friends with whoever is nearest to the largest piece of kit in the field and spend the night poncing views. Works a treat. Interestingly, I think Astronomy is just about the only pastime where you'll not only get away with it, but the owner of the kit will be more than happy to share with you.

Rick

QuoteRob_Wilson wrote:
so I will hopefully (young family and busy life permitting) join you at one of your meetings soon.
Just turn up, and we'll try to make you welcome. If you fill in the form on the website I'll stick a few copies of TOAST etc. in the post to you.

Oscar the Cat

Hi Rob, as the other guy's have said, bino's are a great place to start and are nice and portable. Heios are a russian make and are pretty good and not too pricy. 7x50 or 10x50 seem to be the most popular. Hope to see you at   the meeting or at an observing session.

Rob_Wilson

Thanks for the welcome.  I bought a pair of Bresser 10x50's a couple of weeks ago and am waiting for a clear night when it's not my turn to baby sit!
Hope to meet you all soon
Rob