• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hi all

Started by von, Apr 05, 2005, 21:33:00

Previous topic - Next topic

von

Hi,Myself and my daughter have been bitten with the bug.We got hold of a very cheap reflector which provided ok results {when we never touched the scope lol}.Being under the thumb of her indoors we want to make a dob 6 or 8 inch as cheap as poss.I can build the scope and mount no probs but the grinding of the mirror worries me.I have read as much as one can in the last two weeks but still feel very unsure.

Ian

hi Von, welcome.

I think some of the guys here have some mirror grinding experience and there are a number of books and web sources that'll tell you how to do it.
If you feel that grinding it is beyond you there are several companies that can supply mirrors including Oldham Optics and Orion Optics (not Orion Telescope and Binocular - they're American and don't).

von

Thanks for your reply.Have decided to buy a mirror set,but on my travels found a great tube maker http://www.essextubes.co.uk/flash.html hope its ok to post website.we have got most of the materials for the telescope and so far have not payed a penny.It is amazing what camera shops have out the back in the gash bin lol.Will keep you posted on the progress.
take care all.

Rick

If you start talking technical stuff about telescope-making, please stick it in the "Technical" section, as that'll make it easier for folks to find later. (Yes, links to relevant suppliers' websites can be useful.)

Greg

Now, just wait a minute. Hold your horses - I think those are the types of expressions. I do have mirror making experience. I once made a 14" mirror for a telescope made. It was great fun. Messy, but great fun.

However, I do posses a 14" mirror which I am sure we could talk about.

Anonymous

such an erudite post. :lol:

[ This Message was edited by: Ian on 2005-05-23 19:50 ]