• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC1805 Heart in Cassiopeia

Started by The Thing, Sep 25, 2018, 17:39:45

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

First image taken on a recent holiday to Astrofarm near Confolens, France. 204x120s subs at gain 120 and -15c cooling. Obviously loads of data taken over two long nights, I am sure I can make more of it. I also have a pane to go above and one to go below to complete the Heart (I hope -it will be my first mosaic attempt!).

Image date, time and location:          2018-09-10/11 Confolens, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:     TS1506UNC f4, TS Komakorr
Camera and filters used:                   ZWO ASI294MC Pro, Baader Neodymnium 2" filter
Processing applied:                           PixInsight, Gimp 2.10

Click image for a full size version.

RobertM

Nice sharp stars Duncan, not quite sure about the colours though.  Is the Baader filter producing the rings around those brighter stars ?

Robert

The Thing

Hi Robert, the colours are calibrated using the Photometric Colour Calibration tool so theoretically correct, however I had lots of trouble with flats and darks and I think that has affected a lot of the image, I also got the amp glow issue which I didn't think affected my caneara. Funily enough I haven't touched the stars except to mask them off, deconvolution caused a right mess as did unsharp mask. A little edge enhancement using a GIMP GEGL  tool was applied afterwards.

I'm going to give it another go from scratch as I have two more panes to add and they all need to match!

The Thing

And yes the rings are caused by the Baader Neodymium filter on the far end of the Komakorr. It would be better near the camera.

MarkS

You've got some good data there Duncan!  Over 6 hour's worth.

I agree with Robert that the colour of the nebula seems to be a bit off.

To be honest, I've had mixed results with PCC.  The results are variable for one reason or another.  It seems to work really well on the well-sampled stars of the C11 though.

I'm definitely looking forward to the other panes.

Mark

The Thing

Thanks Mark.

I need to get the post processing sorted, must write lots of notes! Looking closely at the posted full size image it's very noisy and I never cropped it after stacking! Might explain the colour discrepancy and other things as the edge data is very iffy.