• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Introducing myself

Started by RichardL, Jul 24, 2018, 21:35:59

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardL

Hello everyone,

While I joined OAS earlier this year, unfortunately due to life commitments I've only made it to one of the observation nights.

My interest in astronomy rekindled the year before last when my wife bought me a special edition of BBC Sky at Night. Already into photography I was amazed at what you could see and capture with some pretty basic equipment. This led me to purchase an iOptron SkyTracker, which combined with a Sony camera and 500mm lens gives a pretty good focal length for imaging objects. Coupled with a x2 teleconvertor, I've even had some success with photographing Mars, Jupiter and Saturn!

In the last two years, I've spent many a late night & early morning both in the back garden and exploring local vantage points; Knole Park, Ide Hill, Toy's Hill and Bough Beech Reservoir to name a few!

Hopefully, I'll get to meet some fellow members in person in the not too distant future! Until then I'm looking forward to surfing the forum!

Thanks
Richard

:frog: :frog: :frog:

ApophisAstros

Hi Richard,
Look forward to meeting you, can you get to the meeting on Wednesday?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

RichardL

Hello Roger,

Unfortunately I'm otherwise engaged tomorrow, but will definitely look to come to the one after!

Thanks
Richard

:frog:

Carole

Welcome to the OAS forum and the society.  Do come and make yourself known at some of the meetings and it will be good to add to our numbers of imagers.

Interestingly we had a demonstration of the Ioptron skytracker at the last meeting.

Carole

The Thing

Hi Richard and Welcome! Late nights in dark places are much more fun with friends!!! All the society events are worth going to and I hope your commitments can be re-prioritised going forward to allow you to fully take advantage of all the astronomical smarts the society represents. Forget the wife, kids and dog ;).  BTW You won't be running in to me at a meeting as I live in France, but that's not a barrier to participation these days :).

Carole

Ha ha Duncan, just noticed the wording under your Avatar:
QuoteThe OAS International Branch

Carole

Hugh

Hello Richard

Good to hear from despite not having met you yet.  As Duncan (The Thing) says, all the society events are worth going to and the topics often merge across the evenings.  At next Month's society meeting the speaker is Damian Peach, whose expertise in Imaging is legendary ~ so perhaps a good one to try to get to?

Not sure where you live but on Saturday 11th August we have a 'table display' at the Observing Venue (Otford Village Hall) where we hope to do a little solar watching as well.  There from 11 am till 4 pm. Might be an alternative for you ~ if you can get there please introduce yourself.

Clear skies

Hugh Alford
Vice-Chair

The Thing

Quote from: Hugh on Jul 26, 2018, 09:59:09
Hello Richard

Good to hear from despite not having met you yet.  As Duncan (The Thing) says, all the society events are worth going to and the topics often merge across the evenings.  At next Month's society meeting the speaker is Damian Peach, whose expertise in Imaging is legendary ~ so perhaps a good one to try to get to?

Not sure where you live but on Saturday 11th August we have a 'table display' at the Observing Venue (Otford Village Hall) where we hope to do a little solar watching as well.  There from 11 am till 4 pm. Might be an alternative for you ~ if you can get there please introduce yourself.

Clear skies

Hugh Alford
Vice-Chair
Damien Peach! I don't suppose someone could video it?

Duncan

Carole

QuoteDamien Peach! I don't suppose someone could video it?
Yes right up your alley Duncan. 

Might be an idea to E mail Tony Sizer who is the Programme Manager and is the one in contact with Damian Peach, we could not video it without his permission.

Carole

RichardL

Hello everyone!

Thank you for all your kind messages of welcome. Whilst I'll not be able to make it to deep sky camp 10th August, I should definitely be able to make it on the 11th August, and if the opportunity should arise to observe the sun that would be fantastic! Aside from the observation nights, and deep sky camps do members organize other observation nights? Last night I tested my luck and drove through lightning storms and rain to Dungeness in the hope to capture the Lunar Eclipse and Mars over the ocean, but unfortunately neither made an appearance - I was however amazed at how truly dark it is there (even with the lighthouse!), and will hopefully head back this summer to capture the Milkyway.

@Carole, having looked through the galleries the images you've posted and also those by fellow members are awesome! I'm hoping to follow Duncan and MarkS's fortune and image M20 this summer, all I need to do is find somewhere with a suitable southern aspect!

Does the club or individuals showcase any of their images on Instagram?

Thanks
Richard

ApophisAstros

Just put M20 on my DSC list, thanks for the headsup Richard.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

QuoteI'm hoping to follow Duncan and MarkS's fortune and image M20 this summer, all I need to do is find somewhere with a suitable southern aspect!
there is a pretty good Southern sky at our DSC - which was where I image this target last year, but I would not leave it longer than the August camp as I am not sure how long you will get on it as it sinks to the trees in the corner of the field.

Have you got the details of the DSC venue if not PM me with your E Mail address.  Are you planning to stay overnight as it would be advisable to book to make sure there is a space for you as it will be peak season.

It's pretty dark at our DSC, Mark will have a better comparison of Dungeness as he has been there too.

Carole