• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Powered USB Hub

Started by Roy, Jul 24, 2018, 16:33:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

Can anyone recommend a mains powered USB hub which has a minimum of 6 ports, or ideally 7 ports? USB-3 with backward USB-2 would be good but not essential.

Regards

Roy

ApophisAstros

Roy ,
I got this and never looked back , it works 100pc and even has a charging port for your mobile phones and much more.
I plug my mount and DSLRs into it and pipe the hub to my laptop so never run out of USBs,
http://amzn.eu/3lBOM65
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Can't advise Roy sorry, my attempts with a USB hub have been pretty negative, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't even with the recommended Startech hub.  One day it was working the next only two ports were, then I try it again some time later and all works, then the next day it doesn't. 

Maybe it's my laptop that's the problem.  So I use 2 laptops if I need more ports.

Carole

The Thing

Yes. I got an 'industrial' one which runs off 12v and has 7 ports, metal case and brackets for mounting. Mine's screwed to my ADM dovetail shoe. Amazon.co.uk has a one https://www.amazon.co.uk/UHPPOTE-Sipolar-Industrial-Grade-Expanded/dp/B078NLMS5L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532544781&sr=8-1&keywords=A173+Hub+7+ports+Industrial+USB+3.0 Mine was a different brand but identical from amazon.fr in 2016 for E45. I lost the previous one to a lightning induced surge.

HTH

Duncan

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
Mine was a different brand but identical from amazon.fr in 2016 for E45.

I think I paid that for a terrible one from Maplin :(

I wonder why they went bust?

Mark

Mac

Duncan just a quickie

The bumph on amazon says its a 12v 3A

And they are 1A USB sockets,

Am i correct in assuming that the 3A is shared across all of the sockets and the max from any one is 1A

Cheers

Mac.

ApophisAstros

not sure cant read chinese.! i wouldnt trust that much as if it was intended for export why chinese writing?
probably bought for 3 or 4 p and sent over in a container..
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

Hi Mac,
I'm powering it with a 6amp supply and have had it power ing 3 astro cameras and some other gadgets no problem.

Mac

The Thing

The supplied psu is 3A, least they could reasonably provideI suppose.