• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Visit to Chichester Planetarium

Started by Roy, Jun 24, 2018, 12:23:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

In advance of next Wednesday's meeting, I'm just sending out a heads-up on a proposed coach trip to the volunteer run South Downs Planetarium near Chichester. This will be open to members their families and friends. The Planetarium holds 90 so other people/families will be at the presentation also.

https://www.southdowns.org.uk/

We have pencilled in a date of Sunday 30th September, the planetarium show will be in the afternoon, and the speaker will be the very entertaining Dr John Mason. At this time the title still TBC - cost £7 adults, £5 children. There is an exhibition, shop and they will provide us with a tea/coffee on arrival.

To make a day of it, it has been proposed that we will have a couple of hours in Chichester to sightsee and have lunch picnic/pub/cafe, etc., first then get back on the coach for the afternoon at the SDP.

https://www.visitchichester.org/sites/default/files/CITY_CENTRE_MAP.pdf

Approximate times: depart 09:00 and return 19:00, departure point with parking to be decided (e.g. Petts Wood, Orpington Station, etc). The journey time approximately 2 hours.

The cost of the coach will be dependent on the number of people coming. Committee considered it would be better to more comfortable and have a larger coach with a toilet. If we can muster 35 people for a 52 seater cost will be in order of  £18pp (Note:  27 people in a 32 seater with no toilet £18pp). Therefore the more people that come, the cheaper it will be.

It would be helpful if you could let us know at the meeting on Wednesday if you are interested. If you are not coming to the meeting perhaps send a message so we know if we have enough interest to book the coach.

£10 deposit to be collected once signed up, then balance by the 22nd of August meeting.

Roy

Carole

Sounds good, I will see if I can persuade hubby to broaden his horizons.

Carole

Mac

i'll be up for that, good chance to catch up with everyone,

Wont need a seat on the coach.

Mac.

Roy

Great Mac, will let you know more details nearer the time. Currently insufficient interest to book a coach so we may all be coming by car!

Cheers, Sue.

Carole

If there is no coach I won't be coming, I don't particularly fancy driving all that way.

Carole

RafalK

Good idea, I'm in and most likely my other half too.

Quote from: Carole on Jul 03, 2018, 18:42:24
If there is no coach I won't be coming, I don't particularly fancy driving all that way.

Carole

I can provide transport for two if needed.

Carole

That would be good Rafal, it's not only the distance, but the lack of company that puts me off.

Carole

doug

Rose and I are fine with the coach/minibus, or we can share the car. Hope it`s the coach/minibus....

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Roy

Currently we have too few people interested in the trip to book a coach so we will be transporting ourselves. Family member and friends welcome to join in.

The revised plan is to meet for an optional pub lunch from 12 ( venue near Chichester, details to follow) and gather at the Planetarium  for 14:30 Sunday September 30th.

At the next couple of meetings we will be trying to match up anyone who needs a lift down to Chichester with someone who has a spare space in their vehicle and happy to offer a lift. Please feel free to post here too if you can offer /need a lift.

It would be helpful to know how many are coming by mid September so we can tell the Planetarium the number of us turning up in advance and ensure enough space for us in the dome. Cost £7 adults £5 children.

ApophisAstros

I will come as i live in Worthing , half an hour from Chichester.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Mac

I'll be there

Probably cycle there.

Mac.

Roy

Regarding meeting up before the main event there are two places near the Planetarium that might be of interest, both have tea rooms offering sandwiches and cake etc :

http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/  5km

https://chichestercanal.org.uk/canal-centre/ 3mins walk

There is a 1.15 hr boat trip £8 a head leaving at 12:00 so time for lunch before going to the planetarium for 14:30. Also we can park for free from the morning in the school grounds, Planetarium overflow car park by playing fields will be available to us. More details/map to follow.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you are thinking of coming by he end of this month as we need to give the Planetarium our numbers.

Cheers, Sue.

Roy

Please see new thread above with current information on the trip.