• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Guide scope mounting

Started by MarkH, May 12, 2018, 17:24:00

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkH

I'm about to start building a customized guide scope mount and will have the option to place the guide scope front, middle or rear. What are peoples opinions on the best place the guide scope in relation to the main ota.

ApophisAstros

I would of thought it doesn't matter where it is , but it must be without any flexing or movement.
But others may have a different view.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I don't really have a preference.  but placing on top piggy back makes balancing easier. 
I don't have that choice with a finderguider I have to put it in the finder foot wherever that happens to be, usually on one side of the refractors, but with the Newtonian it goes to the front.

I have been using the Skywatcher Guidescope mount for some time now, and really like its design.  Though I actually use it to mount my 2nd scope in my dual rig, its so easy to align the two scopes, with an alt-Az wheel and bolt. 

You might like to pinch some ideas from the design.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-guidescope-mount.html

Carole

MarkH

Thanks guys for your replys. It's difficult to know how to approach technical issues like this because of simple geometric influences.

The Thing

I would put it nearest point at which the OTA is mounted to the mount, if it's a refractor or newt on a tube ring is good. OTA tubes can flex so the ends may not be so good, flexure is the bane of guiding. For an SCT then bolt it to the mirror housing casting or on a tube ring if its mounted that way.

MarkH

Ok Duncan I get that, mine is the same tube as yours so I'll mount it at the rear. Thanks for that.