• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

'The Triumphs of Voyager' by Paul Money

Started by Roy, Apr 26, 2018, 09:44:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

I must say that I thought Paul Money's talk last night entitled 'The Triumphs of Voyager' was thoroughly enjoyable, entertaining and informative. What I found most interesting was the background to the mission to the planets, how on the one hand the mission designers were constrained by political and funding issues, and how then then worked around them to produce two missions that really opened up the Solar System and produce some wonderful science that in some ways changed our paradigm in respect to the outer planets and moons, none more so than Io and its volcanism. I am personally looking forward to Paul coming back and giving part 2 of the talk which hopefully will cover the Voyagers' transition into inter-stellar space.

So a few thank yous, firstly to Tony for getting Paul to come and speak to us, to Carole and Roger for doing the teas, and also to Noel, Doug and Hugh.

Roy

Carole

Absolutely agree.  What a very entertaining and informative Speaker, such enthusiasm and humour.  Look forward to him coming back for part 2.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Really enjoyed it and great images,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

Agreed - it was an excellent talk and I had no problem staying awake.

Mark

Carole

doug

Great informative, and well illustrated talk. Amazing images from the Voyager probes.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Hugh

Paul Money is always good value as a speaker and I've heard him several times before, so knew that he would be entertaining.  Voyager has so much history and has been so significant that its value is probably only now being completely understood, especially as technology advances.  After the talk, Paul indicated that many of the original pictures, now that they can be digitally enhanced, are providing more information which will inform research for years to come ~ much like Cassini.

The one fact that stuns me is that despite V1 being out there for so long, and OK it didn't take a direct route, at light speed it is still only just over 19 hours away.  For us, proper space travel is still so far off!

Again ~ if you have a chance to see 'The Farthest' or get as a dvd, it is a most interesting and amazing documentary on the history of the Voyagers.

Hugh