• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 16 - 18th March

Started by Carole, Mar 07, 2018, 12:31:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

It is now forecasting snow for both Friday and Saturday night on my trusty forecast site.
Plus as you say Mark the ground is going to be very squelchy. 

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Ticehurst/long.html

We will make a decision on Wednesday evening I think, can every-one keep an eye on this thread.  To be honest I can't see the forecast changing sufficiently for it to be possible to go.

Such a shame when we have a nice group of people gathered wanting to go for a change.

Carole

Rick

I've added a link on the main website back to this thread, but I expect most folk know to check here anyway.

Carole

Carole

Well the forecast for Friday and Saturday has remained pretty much the same for the last two days.  Saturday is still saying snow, no clear skies at all over the weekend unless you are able to stay over on Sunday, when it will be -2 with a moderate wind chill, which I don't fancy at all.

Plus I am sure the ground is still going to be somewhat soggy.

So I propose we cancel this weekend's DSC.

Hope you are all in agreement.   I will E Mail Pete this evening.
Please can you confirm you have seen this notice.

Carole

julian

Hi Carole
Thanks for the up date and I agree.

Julian

ApophisAstros

Fair enough but wish me well for Sunday night.

Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Small window of possible clear skies/clouds is creeping in for Friday night, but it's not showing in in detail until tomorrow.

But given the Saturday weather I think we should stick to cancelling.

Yes good luck Roger for Sunday.

Carole

MarkS

Thanks Carole. 

Unfortunately, it's the right decision. 

If nothing else, it will be bitterly cold in those winds.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark and Julian, I hope the others pick up the message. 

Hopefully it will be better next month and that every-one can come then.

I'll let Pete know.

Carole

julian

Next month I will be at Kelling. :lol:

Julian

RafalK

Wise decision. I will pass this info over to Rob.

Carole

Thanks Rafal. 

Carole

ApophisAstros

I arrived about oneish and cant get into pod as no gas for hot water so Pete offered me a b&b room instead.
  Its been sweltering hot all day and half the sky is a lovely blue to the south. Going to practice my SA mount and camera and if its clear Sunday i can do imaging outside here in a south facing field with outdoor hookup.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

So is there hook up and south facing horizons at the B&B?

Carole

ApophisAstros

Just checked groud , very squelchy and wet and a couple of trees.
But south facing , yes.
Roger