• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M104 - The Sombrero (15 Feb 2018)

Started by The Thing, Mar 04, 2018, 21:24:41

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Hi All,

I don't do many galaxies but I couldn't resist having a go at this one, The Sombrero. Image scale is a bit small and this is a crop of the centre of the image 2x drizzle stacked in DSS and then reduced to 2/3 size. Not a lot of detail but it was low down and in the murk. There are some artefacts when I tilt my laptop screen but not at other angles, it's not an ideal tool for image processing :{

1h 17min using 120 and 30 second subs.

Image date, time and location:   2018-02-15 00:00:00 Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   TS1506UNC f4 Newtonian, TS Komakorr corrector, ZWO OAG with GPCAM2 Mono
Camera and filters used:   ZWO ASI294 Pro Colour @-15c, no filters
Processing applied:   DSS 3.3.4, GIMP 2.9.8beta

Carole

Its a tempting galaxy, but as you say quite small and almost impossible to get any detail unless you have much more magnification.

So do you mean you are using DSS for post-processing while you are away (or have been away) from home?

Look forward to seeing this and the Fish head with your usual processing software.

Carole   

ApophisAstros

Yes its a small target , but i feel like giving it a go at the DSC, being in my Messier book! They've all got to be imaged sometime.
Nice one.
Roger

NB
what do you feel about the latest updates to APT as they had to rush the latest one out as it wouldn't connect to Skywatcher.!
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

Thanks Carole, I imaged this as I was waiting for my main target to come up, the data isn't that good due to the altitude even at the end of the run so I don't think it will get any better.

Roger, yep, another M# to tick off the list. I'll probably do it again with my Meade LX90 8" to get some scale and detail.
I haven't installed the latest APT yet, I usually do it straight away but it looks like I had a little luck :) I'll probably update it today if there is a fixed version.

Fay

I like that Duncan, have always fancied it and perhaps will have a go with the 8" as so small
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Quote from: Fay on Apr 24, 2018, 14:04:46
I like that Duncan, have always fancied it and perhaps will have a go with the 8" as so small
Thanks Fay, I'll have to have a go with my LX90 now I have it rigged up with a 2x barlow and my ASI294,  much better image scale :)

MarkS

Great image Duncan!

How did I miss it?

Mark

The Thing