• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC 1805 Heart Nebula ***Reprocessed

Started by ApophisAstros, Feb 26, 2018, 17:11:46

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Better colour balance and star colour and Melotte 15 Open Star Cluster much clearer.

18 x lights @ 300s
16 x Flats
20 x Darks
20 x Bias
Dithered in APT 3.50/PHD2
Including about 3 hours of annoying cloud.
From Worthing , West Sussex

Finally got setup last night for the first time since November and everything ran quite smoothly until i wanted to check the focus and after putting the Bhatinov mask on the scope, then slewing to a brighter star, but what about the Bhatinov mask???
Smashed to pieces on the patio floor, so that's on reorder. Schoolboy error.! Hence focus isn't brilliant even though i previously marked the tube.

Kit
SkyWatcher 120ED Imaging System for Canon DSLR Cameras
Canon EOS 750D DSLR - Modded for Astro Imaging FOV 1.67 x 1.11 arc mins
Skywatcher EQ6-R PRO Synscan Skywatcher 9x50 Finderscope w/QHY5L-II MONO
Skywatcher 0.85x Focal Reducer/Corrector for Evostar-120ED
Incanus Ltd. Astro Photography Tool, 
Luc Coiffier Deep Sky Stacker 3.3.4
QHYCCD PoleMast
Adobe Photoshop CC

Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

You've captured some fainter stuff, looks promising, that's a setup with potential.

I have found ( as has Carole) that not using Bias frames in DSS gives a better result for some reason. It's good DSS has gone Open Source and will be updated sometime soon, maybe they'll sort it out.

Carole

Yes, pretty much given up stacking bias frames, I get get vertical stripes on images, leave them out and its fine. 

Well you found your target Roger, but unfortunately you have Melotte 15 bang in the middle and the scope/camera set up is not big enough to show the rest of the nebula.   :(

I know its difficult to see what you have with a DSLR.  Shame about the Bahtinov Mask, I have done that on occasions, but as I have a rubber matted floor in the obsy, no serious damage.

Incidentally folks, I read a post on SGL yesterday, I did wonder whether to post it up on here, where you can make a Bahtinov Mask from Fly mesh, will post it up separately.

Carole

NoelC

Very good Roger
Well done for getting out there.
I looked out and although it was clear it was blowing too much here (force 3+).
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

ApophisAstros

Thanks all, yes it was cold but was about to locate laptop in backroom , so apart from setting up and polar aligning which is always a pleasure (don't know why people complain about doing it ....lol.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Quotedon't know why people complain about doing it
Have you ever had to do it the hard way Roger, in the freezing cold kneeling on the damp ground.  Getting a cricked neck and back.

Not every-one has Polemaster.

carole

ApophisAstros

I was only joking Carole , I know it is very hard doing it  without PM,
Roger

Carole

OK.

By the way, looking at your image again, there is something wrong with the stars, I do think it has suffered from losing your Bahtinov Mask, see the small holes in the stars, this can sometimes happen if the focus is not good and also they seem to be greyed out, ? processing.

Carole