• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Spider nebula IC417

Started by Carole, Feb 21, 2018, 17:16:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Part of the Spider and the Fly complex, but the Fly is out of the FOV.

Bit off a bit more than I could chew with this one, I never realised it would be such a difficult target.

Took Oiii and Sii but they didn't add anything so I left them out.
Both sides of the Meridian, and I did something I never dared to do before, went out and left the kit running twice for 30 minutes at a time to drop off and collect family from my sons Gig, scope was catching on the pier when I got back the first time.  Only lost 1 sub.

This is HaRGB.
SW130PDS & Atik460L
Ha 14 x 900
Red 6 x 150secs binned
Green 7 x 150secs binned
Blue 6 x 150secs binned
Total 4 1/4 hours (it would have been over 6 hours had I used the Oiii and Sii).
Captured in Artemis and processed in Astroart, Registar and Photoshop

MarkS

That's a good result on an unusual object.

Well done!

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, I think it could do with a few more hours to make it smoother, but I don't think the results are going to warrant the effort.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Good image considering location and its short visibility.
Well grabbed.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Been having a look at other images available on this target and not feeling so disappointed now.   :cheesy:
Perhaps I should have looked first!!!

I was only looking at one exceptional one Duh!

Carole

The Thing

Like.
You are good at this lark Carole, and considering the light pollution to the south of Bromley you get super results.

Carole

Thanks Duncan, I'm on a roll at the moment, but run out of targets that I haven't done before.

Carole

JohnP

Blimey Carole you are certainly coming up with new targets I've never heard off. Yet again amazing results from Brombles...

John

Carole

Thanks John.  Yes, I get ideas from other forums and astrobin.  I get a bit bored doing the same targets repeatedly unless there is a new aspect to them, like a different scope or camera, or its a logn time ago and hopefully skills have improved.

Its certainly a challenge from Bromley and quite a few others I would have liked to have tried but weren't suitable due to being broadband and they will probably have disappeared by the time I can get to DSC. 

Carole

Carole

Managed to improve this a bit (even though I tried really hard first time around), guess a couple of nights sleep in between makes a difference.