• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Fisheye of whole sky

Started by MarkS, Jan 07, 2018, 20:26:43

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

A quick proof of concept tonight taken with my Christmas present - a Samyang 8mm f/3.5 UMC Fish-eye CS II lens.  I put it on the Sony A7S and in the "long" direction it gives a 180degree view.  Combining 2 single exposures (30sec each at F5.6) - one oriented East-West and one oriented North-South gave the following:

Full size version here:  http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2018/WholeSky20180107_100.jpg

I managed to catch this just before the clouds rolled in.  Also, I had to duck down below the level of the tripod to prevent me appearing in the image!

Mark

Carole

Brilliant Mark.

I spy with my little eye, Orion rising and the Pleiades.

QuoteI had to duck down below the level of the tripod to prevent me appearing in the image!
Ha ha.

Carole

JohnP

Nice Mark - Excellent way as well to identify which direction the worse light pollution is in... enjoy & look forward to seeing some stunning images from your new lens. John

Mac

The Thing

Neat. Beats a QHY5L-II with fisheye as there just isn't enough resolution to get all those stars. Nice orbits as well. I thought east was Ashford? I would've expected to see more LP than there is in that direction.

MarkS

Yes, Ashford is more or less East but the main light pollution comes from Maidstone in the North West.  That evening the sky was a bit murky so there could be some more local light pollution being added in as well.

I'll repeat this experiment on a night with good sky - I expect there will be a significant difference.

Mark

Mac

Would it be worth raising it on a pole to above the height of the house?

Or would the reduction of the house ect be negligible.

Mac