• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Moon 28-Dec-2017

Started by MarkS, Dec 30, 2017, 15:33:41

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

The moon taken with the Sony A7S on the Celestron C11 with a (new!) Starizona large format corrector.

100 frames at 1/250sec stacked in AutoStakkert!2 using Bayer Drizzle then deconvolved with a Gaussian point spread function in my own software.

Make sure you see the wonderful detail in the 100% scale version here: http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2017/moon20171228_100.png

There are a few deconvolution artifacts but not many :)

Here's the colour saturated version, showing a bit of moon geology:

Larger version (50% scale): http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2017/moon20171228_50_colour_enhanced.png

I'd like to do the coloured moon again, when the moon is full.

Mark

Carole

Speechless. 

Absolutely amazing Mark.

Carole

The Thing

Just had a look close up on my monitor. Amazing detail and quality. Everytime I try the Moon I get a bright ring artifact at the curved edge, how did you avoid that?

JohnP

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
Just had a look close up on my monitor. Amazing detail and quality. Everytime I try the Moon I get a bright ring artifact at the curved edge, how did you avoid that?

I did nothing special to avoid a bright ring - I suppose it depends on its cause.

One annoying thing is that AS!2 ran out of memory when processing an AVI of the full frame image.  So I had to use PIPP to produce 6 different cropped versions of the AVI.  The final results had to be reassembled as a mosaic.  I wasn't happy because it turned a straightforward task into something very time consuming  :(

Mark

NoelC

Spectacular Mark
Love the colour Moon.
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

The Thing

I like the colour one as well I believe there is an AS3! Beta 64bit which gets round the limitations for big avi's.

MarkS

I like the colour one as well I believe there is an AS3! Beta 64bit which gets round the limitations for big avi's.

That's probably just what I need.

Mark

Fay

Really lovely Mark. i do like the colour version

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Mark just checked this out on my big monitor & detail is amazing - what camera did you use (bit confused) was it your sony of a video camera?  John

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Mark just checked this out on my big monitor & detail is amazing - what camera did you use (bit confused) was it your sony of a video camera?  John

It was 100 still frames taken with the Sony A7S.  The seeing was the "slow and wavy" type rather than the "fast and jittery" type.

I might give it another try tonight (to get better colouration) with an almost full moon but I suspect the wind will play havoc with the seeing.

Mark

JohnP

Ok thks - this bit confused me as you are talking about AVI's not still frames...

QuoteOne annoying thing is that AS!2 ran out of memory when processing an AVI of the full frame image.  So I had to use PIPP to produce 6 different cropped versions of the AVI.

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Ok thks - this bit confused me as you are talking about AVI's not still frames...

QuoteOne annoying thing is that AS!2 ran out of memory when processing an AVI of the full frame image.  So I had to use PIPP to produce 6 different cropped versions of the AVI.

AS!2 does not accept still frames.  So I had to first turn them into a lossless undebayered AVI file.  I did that using PIPP.

Mark

MarkS

Quote from: MarkS on Dec 31, 2017, 15:07:57

That's probably just what I need.

It works!! 

Using PIPP I can create a full size AVI file from my raw frames and the 64bit AS!3 processes the whole moon in one go.  Tonight I can process my full moon data from last night :)  The seeing was not so good but it should still produce a good colour image of the whole face of the moon.

Mark

The Thing

CNN called it a Wolf Moon for some reason, there won't be a bigger one this year. Hope it comes out ok. Are you using your DCON3 program for the deconvolution? I have a copy somewhere.

Too murky to do any Moon snaps here but it sure was bright last night. Had a good look with my big 20x80 bins that I collimated New Years Eve - what a difference and they were good before :)