• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horsehead and Flame Nebulae in Orion 17 Nov and 12 Dec 2017

Started by The Thing, Dec 29, 2017, 17:58:08

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Wooeee! Even if I say so myself. 162x120s @iso800. Beta 2.9 of GIMP handles 32bit TIF straight from PixInsight and convert to JPG without any effort. Thoroughly recommended. The linked image is full size.

Processing: Batch Pre-Processing with lower sigma settings for Lights stacking, Photometric Colour Calibration, Dynamic Background Extraction, Asinh Stretch, Local Histogram Equalisation, Asinh again, Multiscale Median Transform, and in Gimp Non-linear transform (a sort of noise reduction). 

Image date, time and location:   2017-12-12 23:00 Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   TS1506UNC f4 Newtonian, TS Komakorr corrector
Camera and filters used:   Canon 1100d defiltered, Astronomik UV-IR filter
Processing applied:   Pixinsight, GIMP

MarkH

Wow that's even better Duncan, you'll be rivalling Hubble soon.😀

MarkS

Looking really good now!

Without reading the description I could already tell that some kind of Multiscale processing had been applied.  There is a distinct undulating, wavy look about the dust which is difficult to describe.  It needs to be applied in a more subtle way.

I think a result somewhere between version 1 and version 2 would work really well.  You have really good quality data there.  It gives you a great opportunity to experiment with various processing techniques.

Mark

Carole

Amazing what you can do with good processing skills and good data.  I am inclined to agree with Mark that something in between this and your first process would be my preference.

Carole

NoelC

Swapped telescopes for armchair.

The Thing

Last version I swear. Less Multiscale Median Transform in PI, then sharpening, noise reduction and curves with a bit of extra saturation applied in Gimp.

I have looked at other deep images of this subject on the web and this one looks good to me as far as dust and gas goes. There are a few artefacts e.g. ghost spikes, diverging spikes and so on, I think I need to tweak the scope a bit to sort them out. It's a bit annoying that the spider vanes don't line up with the RA/DEC oriented camera i.e. not square to the focuser. New XWO ASI294MC Pro camera will arrive Wednesday (explains the weather) and I'll use that with the spikes oriented nicely. Also I have a thin OAG coming which will remove flexure and improve star shape overall. Shame I can't get a sky clearing attachment to go with it!

Carole

QuoteIt's a bit annoying that the spider vanes don't line up with the RA/DEC oriented camera i.e. not square to the focuser.

I prefer them at a slight angle, I think square on will look a bit boring.

Carole

NoelC

Lovely image Duncan
Really fascinating detail.
You are the Gimp Miester.
Can't wait to see what you do with the 294!
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole

You've certainly made a lot of progress this year, I think the faster scope has made a lot of difference.

Carole 

Fay

Well done Duncan, glad you are pleased with your results, makes it worth the effort|!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Thank you for your kind comments everybody. Happy New Year!