• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

SD card sectors

Started by Fay, Dec 06, 2017, 17:04:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Does anyone know the answer to this please.

I have SD card in the canon 7D, it seems to have sectors, 100,101, and 102. now 101 and 102 are full, but no images on 101.

Is this right?

Thanks

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Mac

By sectors im assuming you have folders named 100,101,102.

These are normally created by the camera when they reach a certain number and the images just roll over into the appropriate folder.

If you are saying the card is full you have a choice of 2 options.
1) the card is full
2) the card is faulty.

assuming 1) to be true, then you just need to copy over all of your photos from the camera, they should be in one of those folders.
If the folders are empty then it might be that what ever is on the card is hidden, in which case put the card into a PC and have a look for hidden folders / images.

Copy over everything to your pc
once you are happy that you have ALL the photos on the pc, check and recheck that they are on the PC....

then format the card IN THE PC.

That way if there are any faulty sections on the card the PC should be able to find and sort them out.
then put the card into the camera and REFORMAT it in the camera.
You will probably find the following to be true as well.

If you reset the camera a new folder is created.

It might be that you have copied over previous photos but forgot to delete them from the card.

If 2 is the case then do the same, move the card to the PC , copy over everything and see if the PC can sort out the memory card.

Pg 79.Users Manual
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300002580/02/eos7d-im2-en.pdf

Mac

Fay

Oh did not know the camera created them. i did not know why 100 was empty and 101,102 were not.

thanks for all that Mac. just going to read the camera manual

Fay

thats a bit of reading Mac, never knew about all that. something else I have had, not had it before. pictures I took yesterday or day before, do not show all together on the card, they are scattered, so have to look for them individually amongst the older images