• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Crab Nebula M1 WIP

Started by Carole, Nov 19, 2017, 16:40:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Had intended to get a lot more data than this but with technical issues (Software kept saying it had lost the connection and to check the USB) and passing blankets of cloud despite a clear night being forecast, this was all I could get.  Needs a lot more data but thought I'd post it up for now.

Also thought it was time I gave my 130PDS an airing as it's not been used since my knee fracture, but nervous about taking it to camp because of dew.

Atik314L and SW130PDS
Ha 8 x 600secs
Oiii 17.5 mins 300 secs binned and unbinned
Sii 12.5 mins 300secs binned and unbinned
Total 2 hours

I slight revision, wasn't happy with the stars in first image and have managed to extract a bit more detail from the nebula:

Questions:
The Atik314L seems to have a lot more hot pixels than it had before, is this a sign of an old camera?
It's also very noisy when it first starts up, but then quietens down after a a minute or so.   Just wondering whether it is on its last legs.

The USB problems: I have been having a few problems at camp of late, i.e. the camera getting stuck on either download or "flushing", put this together with last night's "check USB" problems, I am wondering whether I need to get some new USB extension leads, any thoughts on this?

Carole

JohnP

Carole

The Thing

USB.  Clean the contacts with a spray contact cleaner then a spray of silicon grease (Maplin). The silicon stops the surface recontamination and repels moisture. Works a treat.

MarkS

That's looking really colourful.  A great image!

Definitely sounds like you have an issue with your USB lead.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark and Duncan, I think I will get myself some new USB extension cables, they are very cheap and probably will cost less than the cleaning solutions.  But glad to hear you are of the same mind as me. 

Carole

ApophisAstros

I have about 6 of these and whichever ones i use , never had a problem , i seal any join with Duct Tape. Keeps the join together and the damp out.
Roger
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NH11PEY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Fay

Looking good Carole. is this taken from home?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Fay, yes from home.

QuoteI have about 6 of these and whichever ones i use , never had a problem , i seal any join with Duct Tape. Keeps the join together and the damp out.
Roger
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NH11PEY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had my USB extension cables for getting on for 8 years, so perhaps they have got a bit corroded over the years.  I have never bothered to seal them though.   Never had a problem with them before this last few months (assuming its the USB extension cables that are the problem).
Have ordered some new ones today only cost a fiver for 3.  Also got some shorter ones than I had before as some of them were far too long. 

Carole

Carole

I decided to have a try using Mark's Arcsinh tutorial, which I know is not designed for narrowband, but still thought I'd give it a go.  I think I prefer this result as the stars are sharper and better coloured. 

I also followed a SWAGastro tutorial on highlighting an area of interest.

Fay

great star colour. i will have a read of Marks Tutorial. where can I find it? thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Quotegreat star colour. i will have a read of Marks Tutorial. where can I find it? thanks

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/301646-colour-preserving-stretch-in-photoshop/

The Thing

Thats looking really good Carole. I don't think it matters where your colour data originated for the Asinh stretch to work as its 'just' another way to stretch the data.

Carole

Thanks Duncan, I think I am going to make this part of my processing routine from now onwards.

Carole