• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Glass or Film Solar Filters ~ Opinions Please?

Started by Hugh, May 29, 2017, 18:44:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for opinions on solar filters.  I have a Thousand Oaks glass filters for both my Televue 85 and my 8" Newtonian and have been pleased with both but recently I've been googling some discussion forums on whether to go glass or film and there is a lot of positive comments about film filters giving a better, truer view. 

A friend has recently got into astronomy and has a good started scope and asked about solar filters and whilst I was going to say 'glass', perhaps improvements in film filters have made them better.  So I thought I ask the 'Forum Font of Knowledge' for its opinions.  In truth I've never used a film filter so if anyone has a preference or has used both and can give a comparative opinion, I'm prepared to be convinced.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hugh

ApophisAstros

Also glass breaks if you drop it , Hugh
Ive just bought this one

Roger

(Edit: Imge size - Rick)
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Hugh

Thanks for the comment Apophis and the link.

The glass will break if you drop it comment comes up regularly but I've had two glass filters for years and never come close to dropping them.   That chance applies to all our equipment really and how often do we encounter that from any member?   Similarly, comments on film suggest that they are easier to hole but I'm not sure that's actually the case.  I'm really trying to get a comparison response which might help me seal a way forward; both for my friend and me.

It could be that I will have to just try myself but I'm sure some have already done that.  Both of us are not really in astrophotography, so that might make a difference.  Certainly from some of the other forums I've scouted, film filters seem to be held quite highly for astrophotography but what about just visual use?

Best

Hugh

The Thing

I've used Baader film, it is fragile but can be fixed with a small piece of tape over the hole, doesn't seem to affect the image. I've also made filters for finder scopes out of it with the offcuts. I've also got a Baader Solar Continuum filter which passes a limited bandwidth and allows you to see granulation and more sunspot detail with a white light filter.