• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC1396 Elephants Trunk Nebula, 25 October 2017

Started by The Thing, Oct 28, 2017, 14:35:14

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Never done this before. I am still trying to get my scopes collimation right as well as the distance for the KomaKorr coma corrector, this was a 'lets have a go' capture so I didn't do flats and re-used some old ones which is not really a good thing. I've tried to make the stars a little less dominant but there's just so many of them! And who knows why the right hand side is magenta not red :}

Image date, time and location:   2017-10-25 23:00 Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Teleskop Service TS1506UNC 6" f4, TS KomakorrF4
Camera and filters used:   Canon1100D defiltered, Astronomik UV/IR Cut Clip Filter
Processing applied:   Pixinsight BatchPreprocessing, PhotometricColorCalibration, Multiscale Transform, Arcsinh Stretch, SCNR, GIMP

ApophisAstros

Amazing Duncan, is that really a 12mp sensor on that camera. So much more detail than my 24mp 750D!
Just one sub?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Amazing detail for a DSLR.  Lots of nice colours, well done.

Carole

JohnP

Very nice wide field Duncan - you seem to have got your setup/ processing sorted & are bagging some really nice images now. Maybe just a 'tad' over saturated on my monitor - the yellow stars look very yellow - that's a super image though - John

MarkS

Excellent Duncan.

You've got some fine detail there.  You seem to have a strange yellow to purple gradient.  If you can cure that it will be a fantastic image.

Mark

The Thing

A rehash of the colour. the major difference is the use of DynamicBackgroundExtraction at the start of Post-processing.

17x300s (85mins) @iso1600
Image date, time and location:   2017-10-25 23:00 Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Teleskop Service TS1506UNC 6" f4, TS KomakorrF4
Camera and filters used:   Canon1100D defiltered, Astronomik UV/IR Cut Clip Filter
Processing applied:   Pixinsight BatchPreprocessing, DBE, MorphologicalTransformation, PhotometricColorCalibration, DynamicCrop, Arcsinh Stretch, AdaptiveStretch, MultiScaleMedianTransform, SCNR, Auto colour balance in GIMP 2.9.6 dev which handles 32bit files.