• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Soul Nebula IC1848

Started by Carole, Oct 06, 2017, 22:39:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I took this last night whilst trying out my Polemaster.  I set up on the lawn as there is not enough space in the Obsy for the pier and the HEQ5 and I bought the adapter for the HEQ5 since this is what I use for camp.

I also wanted to try out the alignment and guiding so thought I may as well take an image while I was at it and all set up despite it being a Full Harvest Moon.  There are few targets I can do from Home these days, can hardly see anything except the major stars, could hardly see Cygnus or Cassiopaeia.  Has the LP just got worse or is it the LED lights I wonder?

Anyway, here it is.  At times there were a lot of passing clouds and I ended up throwing away almost as much data as I kept, so decided to reduce the Ha exposures to 5 mins as I was wasting too many subs.

HEQ5
WOZS71 & Atik460EX
Ha 10 x 10 + 7 x 5 (length reduced because of passing clouds wasting subs)
Oiii 8 x 300 binned
Sii 7 x 300 binned
Total 3 1/2 hours
Stacked in Astroart and processed with Registar and Photoshop

N.B. Image updated (originally processed on laptop with no gradient exterminator)

JohnP

Pretty amazing from Bromley esp with full moon.. shows imaging can still be worthwhile from light polluted locations..

ApophisAstros

Better if you are pointing in opposite direction to the Moon i find.
But a  lot harder to find appropriate camera settings and length of sub , on same night i did 100 second subs at ISO 400 half normal, with mixed results, still trying to process.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Thanks John. 

Roger.  I would never attempt to do anything (apart from experiments) on a full Moon unless it was with narrowband.

Carole

The Thing

You have got a worthy result, the gold wreath around the blue is very attractive and really picks out the heart shape. If you can do this ona full moon I wouldn't worry about the LP. How come only two colours from three filter bands?

Carole

Thanks Duncan.  I guess the third colour is blended in somewhere.  I was surprised to get such a lot of blue as the oiii component looked very weak so not really understanding it myself.
Carole

Fay

That is very good for local Carole

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

NoelC

Amazing Carole
I looked out and saw the full moon and went to bed...
Very impressive.

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Carole