• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Next DSC 20 - 22nd October

Started by Carole, Sep 28, 2017, 16:17:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Roger has spotted that Thursday 26th and Friday 27th are clear and no wind or rain, so might be worth considering postponing to the following week, the first quarter Moon sets early, so also let me know your thoughts on that. 

Obviously we need to see Saturday's forecast as well and it could change, but might be a possibility.

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Ticehurst/long.html

Carole

The Thing

I've already tied down the roof of my observatory just in case. This ones coming straight up the channel according to CNN.

Carole

Well it seems to me that it would be foolish to go this weekend.  I think we should cancel, does every-one agree?

I am however currently planning to go Thursday and Friday of next week if the forecast stays the same, but that won't suit those who have to work.  I don't yet know the forecast for the Saturday, but I have something on on Saturday evening, but it might suit every-one to shift to next weekend.  There will be a first quarter Moon but it sets well before midnight. 

Carole

MarkS

Regrettably I think we should cancel :(

Mark

Carole

I agree. Just need to hear from JULIAN that he knows it is cancelled.

Carole

julian

Ok thanks for the up date. I can't do next weekend. Next month I am at Kelling I hope

MarkS

I'm missing my Friday night sausage and beans already :(
And my Saturday morning camping fried breakfast :(

Mark

Carole

:( :(

Such a shame as it would have been the first for a group of us for quite some time.

Roger and I have pencilled in 17 - 19th November for an UDSC, but not holding my breath.

Carole

MarkS

There's no way I can make the 18th Nov unfortunately.

Mark

Carole

Looking at the weather, we did the right thing cancelling this weekend.

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Ticehurst/

Sorry about that Mark, well the new calendars are on sale now with the dates for 2018, so please every-one put them in the calendar and try to reserve them.  There are 5 official DSCs in 2018. 

There is also an extra date on Saturday 16th June at Noel's Farm near Meopham which is primarily an imaging session, but then it developed into an afternoon Starbecue and we can stay overnight if we are imaging.  Obviously sunset will be late, and Noel doesn't have facilities for more than a couple of people using electricity, so you might have to be electrically independent and will need some sort of overnight portaloo as the loo will be in the house which I don't think will be open all night.

Carole