• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

SH2-129 (Flying Bat Nebula) and Ou4 (Squid Nebula) (WIP)

Started by Carole, Aug 30, 2017, 23:47:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is definitely a work in progress.  I was told this target was very faint, but I guess seeing is believing.
I think many more hours are needed and longer subs in Oiii, even though I did 600secs binned (=20mins subs), so will try 900secs binned next time and see what I get, but I can see this is going to be an on-going project.  Thought I'd post it up just to let you see what I was doing. 

Doug, if you show this please make sure you say this is a WORK IN PROGRESS. 

I did not use the dual rig as I needed the shortest focal length scope and the largest FOV camera.

Taken on Sunday night total 4hours 25mins

Ha 9 x 600
Oiii 6 x 600 secs
Oiii 8 x 600secs binned
Sii 8 x 300secs binned
Total 4hours 25mins
Mapped HSO

Atik460EX and WOZS71 on HEQ5

N.B. I can see the bottom left needs cropping, but as this is not a final image I will fix that later.

MarkS

That is a very adventurous target!  The flying bat and squid.

The squid was discovered only in 2011 and it's extremely faint.  The blue squid is beginning to appear in your image though.

I like your play on words - damp squib indeed!!

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, well I thought I'd give it a "go", and now I have started, will attempt some more.

Processing was especially difficult as I took Oiii both binned and unbinned as I thought I might need detail in the Squid (Ha!), so had both to combine.  Also did a meridian flip in the middle, plus my Vista laptop went on the blink, so I had data on both computers to combine and on the miscreant laptop there was only 1 sub of Oiii and sii to process and 2 of Ha, but thought I needed all I could get.  But with one sub not enough to stack I had to convert it to Tiff in Maxim then register and then manually apply. 

QuoteI like your play on words - damp squib indeed!!
Glad you appreciated my humour.  Well that's exactly what it was.

Carole

Carole

Struggling with this, I had heard the Squid was faint, but that's an understatement. 
I have imaged this now at both Cairds and Kelling collecting a total of 5 hours 38 minutes so far.
At Kelling Heath I did 20 minutes binned in Oxygen and it still only partly shows up.

Ha total of 12 x 600secs
Oiii total of 2 hours 50 minutes in 600 and 1200 secs binned
Sii 10 x 600 binned.

Mapped HSO
Atik 460EX and WOZS71
HEQ5

ApophisAstros

I`m looking forward to a few "damp squibs" of this quality,
Great image,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

QuoteI`m looking forward to a few "damp squibs" of this quality,
Ha ha.

Mike

I prefer the first image, the reds are dayglo orange in the second image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Yeah, I was trying to match some of the other colours on the forums done by good imagers, but I think I over did it a bit.  I've toned it down a bit and now it matches others. 

Carole

Just been tipped off that Astrodon 3nm Oiii filters are needed to capture the squid, so I did a check on Astrobin.  Of all the images posted up there, of the people who bothered to post up their filter bandwidth 98% were using Astrodon 3nm filters and many had really good skies, so I think I might be flogging a dead horse. 

I am certainly not planning to spend £496 on one filter just to get one target.

I will give it one more try at 30min binned subs but if that doesn't work, I think I will give up. 

Carole

doug

I have put both of the latter images of the Damp Squib and Flying Hat nebula on Novembers report, Carole. If you are going to re-sub the image, I will get totally flummoxed......

Doug.

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Lol, well at least you have the correct names now Doug.

Carole