• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Insight astronomy Picture of the year shortlist

Started by Carole, Jul 28, 2017, 08:28:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Any-one seen the shortlist of this? 

To be honest I have seen (with a few exceptions), better images posted up on forums than those that have been picked, some of them are quite ordinary/average. 

Maybe the decent imagers have given up submitting. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/07/25/insight-astronomy-photographer-year-2017-shortlist/

Carole

PS:  Well further to discussion on other forums it appears this is not the complete shortlist, as one of two people have been notified they are shortlisted but they are not on the attached list.  ROG doesn't seem to publish a shortlist so wondering how the papers manage to get some of them. 

Carole

Hello ...

Does any-one use this forum any more?

doug

Yes Carole, a few people do, but what`s happened to all the good imagers who used to post their excellent images on here? We only have a couple of members posting ... it`s getting sad. C`mon, you imagers, get posting please. Otherwise I won`t have anything to put on my OAS Observing officers report  :( :(

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

ApophisAstros

Did you see my m16 Eagle Nebula  from Cairds , Doug?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Wrong thread Roger.  I think Doug says it's going in the next meeting presentation.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole on Jul 29, 2017, 09:39:53
Hello ...

Does any-one use this forum any more?

Maybe it's holiday time ...

The ROG competition does this every year - publishes a selection of images from their shortlist. 

The winning pictures in each category are often not from that selection.

Mark

Fay

I think they have lost their way regarding astro photographer of the year. all aurorae and people sitting around against Milky Way

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

I agree Fay, it's all gimmicky stuff that they are interested in, IMO there should be a single category for that, not spread across all categories.

Carole

The Thing

Quote from: doug on Jul 29, 2017, 09:48:29
Yes Carole, a few people do, but what`s happened to all the good imagers who used to post their excellent images on here? We only have a couple of members posting ... it`s getting sad. C`mon, you imagers, get posting please. Otherwise I won`t have anything to put on my OAS Observing officers report   

Doug.

I have a load of images to post - but I have to process them first and my PC was bought in 2007 so it's a slow business especially with software like PixInsight, it's taking me 6x longer to do a basic Star Mask than the geezer whose video I am following on YouTube :wall:

:idea: I am buying a wizzy new PC soon in time for the new season so images should start flowing in a few weeks. 8)

Fay

I  am planning to start a flow of images as well Duncan!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Wahay, more images coming in soon.  Don't forget I shall be choosing the Calendar images in just over a months time, see new thread.

Carole

Mac

Quoteit's taking me 6x longer to do a basic Star Mask than the geezer whose video I am following on YouTube

I didn't know mark had a you tube channel ;)

Mac (Still Lurking and waiting for clear skies, I now have an ultrasonic cleaner for all of my optical stuff.)

MarkS

Quote from: Mac
I didn't know mark had a you tube channel ;)

I don't.  But it's not a bad idea ;)

Mark