• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Perseids star trail 12th Aug

Started by Kenny, Aug 13, 2017, 01:38:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Hi All,

It's been a while and I confess I am a bit out of practice, but I decided it was time to get my camera out for some astrophotography.

Polar aligned star trail captured from my back garden during the evening when the peak of the Perseids was due (12th - 13th). Unfortunately, I only had around an hour's gap between cloud disappearing from the first few shots then another bigger cloud arriving towards the end so I restricted this stack to only 11 photos from the larger sequence. A bright white LED street light in front of my house (bottom right) and a bright Moon rising (similar direction) also washed out the sky somewhat.

If you look closely enough there are at least 2 meteors in the stack though I'm not sure they are really the right direction to be true Perseids. Also the flashing lights 'streaks' are obviously from a larger number of planes.

I saw a beautiful bright Perseid shoot across my vision right to left (correct direction) when I was out for 10 minutes watching but would you believe it was precisely in the 5 second gap between shots! Very unlucky!! Canon 760D with a Tamron 16-300mm lens. 11 shots, 2 minutes each, f/3.5, ISO400 at 16mm. I remembered to turn off noise reduction (but haven't cloned out the hot pixels. And the dew heater strap I bought last year even got it's first outing! Processed in Adobe Lightroom, stacked in Adobe Photoshop then re-processed in Lightroom.

p.s. allegedly you need a foreground object to improve nightscapes so enjoy my neighbour's TV aerial.  :lol: :cheesy:

ApophisAstros

Thats brilliant , I did one in April and had an Iridium flare in it, plus aircraft of course!
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

Lovely star trails!  The star colours are excellent.

Mark

The Thing

Good job Kenny! As Mark said, nice star colours and a nice length of trail.

It was cloudy here but it's gonna be clear tonight, maybe I'll bag a straggler.

Kenny

Thanks all.

I saw one more Perseid last night when I popped out for a look but it was overcast much of the early evening and didn't fancy another late night so didn't set up my camera.

Carole

Nice image Kenny, and good stars colours. 
Personally I find the meteor showers rather overhyped and ultimately a disappointment so I never bother with them.

I have yet to do a proper star trails image.

Carole

Hugh

Hi Kenny

Nice image.  Hope you don't mind but have downloaded to keep as one of the photos I can use in my talks?

Best

Hugh

Kenny

Thanks all.

Of course, Hugh. Help yourself.