• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bats in your Flats

Started by ApophisAstros, Jul 19, 2017, 12:08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Something i came across online,,,
Quite funny.

"Upon reviewing the flats, one stood out, with a very weird artifact in the image.  It took a second, but the artifact's cause then dawned on me.  I had been riveted by the upper LCD display on the camera during the image acquisitions, waiting for the shutter speed display to vanish before I pressed the shutter button for the next exposure.  Any day now, one of the second batches of Timelapse+ View intervalometers (http://www.timelapseplus.com/view/) will show up, but for now, my finger was triggering the exposures.  Bottom line, I was pretty oblivious to transient sky conditions during the flat sequences.  During a swim in the pool afterwards, I noticed a number of bats wheeling over our backyard.  Well, that explains the artifact, all right!  The exposure was 1/15th of a second, and the bat had a definite vector velocity and high-speed wing-flapping that generated the dark line and lighter wing zones.  "

Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.