• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

North American Nebula NGC7000

Started by ApophisAstros, Jun 19, 2017, 10:14:00

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

First go  at such a large target, obviously got frame it better next time.

Stacked with DSS.
Processed in photoshop.
12 Subs x 300seconds
ISO 800
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

Hi Roger,

Good first go, lots of good data. NA Nebula is huge, I gave up on it with my old scope and did the Pelican which is right next door and will fit in a smaller FoV.

ApophisAstros

Thanks Duncan ,
i knew it was big but i am trying the whole range while i can.
Will put the Pelican on my target list.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

Sorry to say this but something has gone very badly wrong in the processing :(

At what stage did it go wrong?  What did the output from DSS look like?

Mark

ApophisAstros

It was my first go at processing such a big image.What should it have looked like after DSS?
Only had advise on processing from Duncan and Carole on here.
How is it we find the correct colour as different colours around the web?
must admit i`m treading water on processing as so much contradiction on the web.
Think i`ll have to revisit all my early targets data as i`ve kept it it.
Roger

MarkS

The stacked image should look exactly like one of the original subs i.e. an orange/brown light polluted background with your target just visible in the middle somewhere.

Then the post-processing starts - use Photoshop, Gimp or similar.  If you are brave use Iris.  Subtract the light pollution (i.e. set the black point) and then stretch the data (curves or similar).  You probably also need a bit of white balancing.

I don't use DSS but I have read it is important to save it as a TIFF with adjustments embedded but not applied.  This is where most people go wrong, from what I've heard.

Mark

ApophisAstros

Thanks Mark,
Will try harder, its like going back to school again,,,LOL
Roger :lol:

MarkS

Quote from: Apophis
Thanks Mark,
Will try harder, its like going back to school again,,,LOL
Roger :lol:

It's a steep learning curve :(

Carole

Rome wasn't built in a day Roger, you're doing well.  Bring your data with you to next DSC and we can have a session on it.

Carole

ApophisAstros