• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

UDSC 26/27 May

Started by Carole, May 20, 2017, 13:49:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Currently Friday and Saturday next weekend is forecast to be clear at Cairds, is anyone interested in going if the forecast continues?

Roger we can divert the imaging session due to be at my house to Cairds if we go.

Carole

ApophisAstros

If its right ClearOutside shows zero and 8`s and 9`s for cloud cover all day thurs and fri all zeros,never seen this before..same on yours? I could only go on these nights returning home on sat am are you going Thurs or Friday?
I`d want the pod if you weren't using it.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Yes provided the forecast stays the same I will go Thursday and Friday.   We can do some daytime training to compensate for the imaging session if you like.

I was going to go for the POD but last weekend it was booked out.  Now my physio seems to think it's the sitting in the van on a long journey that is more likely to be the aggravating factor rather than what bed I sleep in, so I will stick to the Van and use a soft cushion in the van.  If it continues to be troublesome I will have to use the POD in future. 

Pete who runs the site was away last weekend (abroad) so if you want to book the POD you need to speak to his wife Sue on (0)1435 883442 as I am not sure when he gets back.  Perhaps you can tell her there could be 2 or 3 of us as I have some-one else potentially hoping to come.

This is my current forecast:
https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Ticehurst/long.html

Any-one else? 

Carole

julian

I can't make this one
Julian

Carole

Shame, lovely clear skies currently forecast.

Carole

Carole

OK, looks like Cairds are fully booked and currently Roger is booked OK, but I am still waiting to see if they can accommodate me on Friday, so no further people can be accommodated.

If they can't accommodate me on Friday, might see if we can go elsewhere.

Carole

Mike

I'm already booked up this weekend.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Well Cairds let me in by saying I could park in the car park, but when I got there I asked if I could go in the alcove in the left as you drive in.  Pete was concerned it was next to the chemical disposal place, but I said it would be OK.  It was a smashing place as it turns out and we had two glorious days and clear nights.  Admittedly we didn't get too many hours because of the time of the year, but well worth doing. 

The campsite was full but as it's only a small site everyone was friendly and I managed to get a couple of people to switch off fluorescent lights.

I got some data though not sure how successful I have been until I process it.  Roger was having some problems, but as he is using software that I am not that familiar with I was limited in what help I could give him.  However I think he benefitted from the trip and has some things to think about.  Roger slept in the Cabin (Barbecue cabin that is being converted into a sleeping room).

This is the new Awning I made for the van adapted from an old Gazebo for the "canvas", some suction pads I got off Ebay (from China for about £5) which stick to the side of the van and some pronged poles I bought from a camping shop, we really needed it to shade us from the Sun.  Total cost £37

Roger's kit on left, my skytracker in the middle and my main rig on the right.

Carole