• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Baader Sun Filter ?

Started by ApophisAstros, May 14, 2017, 10:37:15

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Getting a solar filter so as to open up the use of my scope with the few dark skys lately and going forward.
  Just wanted to double check about setting up , i was going to setup scope pointing North = Home Position
and securely place the filter on the end doing up the screws to fix it on . Also i was wondering if the CMOS
temperature in the camera  may raise a little , am trying to find the max working temp which i can monitor
in APT.
Anything else ive forgotten.
i was going to try 100 to 400 iso and maybe 1/400th to 1/4000th shutter.
roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

If you set up in the normal way polar aligned, then you will need to set the tracking to solar tracking.  (Don't forget to put it back to Sidereal afterwards for DS imaging).

Temperature is unimportant for solar imaging as it's just a quick shot, I used to take a shot in AV 100ISO (I think - it's been a while) and the camera takes a quick shot without having to alter the length manually.  Probably some experimentation might be needed.  If you take several in quick succession you might be able to stack them. 

The most difficult aspect I found in solar imaging was getting focus (probably more so with a PST), particularly as being in daylight there are reflections on the Laptop screen and you really can't properly see what you are doing.

What I did in the end was make a cardboard box which goes over the laptop with a slit (like a postbox sort of thing) so I can look through the slit and a further flap at the bottom so I can get my hands in to operate the keyboard.  It worked well.  This stopped all the reflections on the screen and I could better see what I was doing.

If you're using EQMod then hopefully you can GOTO the Sun quite easily but I needed a solar finder to help as you can't look at the Sun to see where the scope is pointing.  There are various types if you think this will be helpful if you google them.  You could probably make a home made one.

HTH

Carole

ApophisAstros

re: reflections i can work in the garage on the chest freezer as its not far where i place the scope.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

ApophisAstros

Oh well nothing ventured....ordered the wrong size from amazon but have measured properly
and ordered correct one, thank goodness for free amazon returns...
Roger

Carole

Shame you already bought one as you can make your own using Baader film, probably a lot cheaper.

Carole

ApophisAstros

I saw that but wanted the pukka job , and wasn't confident about making a "reliable"one,
Roger