• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Alignment ?

Started by ApophisAstros, May 12, 2017, 16:34:51

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Now I'm computer controlled I wondered what Everyone's favourite alignment techniques were,I have read about drift alignment ,
Roger

Kit - Sky-Watcher EVOSTAR-120ED DS-PRO (OTA) 120mm (4.75î) f/900 ED Apochromatic Refractor Telescope Plus .85x Focal Reducer
Sky-Watcher EQ6-R PRO SynScan™ GoTo Equatorial Mount
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkH

Hi Roger, I use an astro engineering  polar mate with my Meade wedge and it is very quick and accurate. It may be something you could adapt for the skywatcher.
Mark

Carole

Roger, you are using Polemaster, I don't think you need to do drift aligning as well. 

Carole

Roy

Hi Roger,
Are you referring to 'Polar Alignment' specifically, or alignment in general?
Roy

ApophisAstros

Alignment in general 1,2 or 3 stars. since I posted I've sort of decided to use plate solving. There's a program that feeds the coordinates to the scope from the plate solving results.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Ah, your mention of Drift align confused me as that is concerned with polar alignment,

With EQMod which I haven't used for a while, but I think most people find just syncing on one star close to your chosen target is good enough for alignment, and I must admit it worked just fine when I used that method.

Carole

The Thing

Hi roger

I use my finderguider and Sharpcap 2.9. Very easy with live feedback as you adjust the az and alt. Just like the QHY polaralign gadget but essentially free. Very accurate, I got my eq6 down to 0.5 arcmin off the NCP in about 5 minutes. Would have been quicker if the mount pa adjustment bolts etc was better made!

Duncan