• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Ring Nebula - First successful Target Acquisition .

Started by ApophisAstros, Apr 19, 2017, 11:12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Now i have just got to work out focus , just got my Bhatinov Mask

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10062/Ring_Nebula3.jpg

Skywatcher EVOSTAR-120ED DS-PRO 120MM (4.75") F/900 ED APOCHROMATIC REFRACTOR TELESCOPE with .8 x FOCAL REDUCER
Canon EOS 750D Baader Modified for daylight and astronomical use. 24.2MP CMOS sensor DIGIC6 processor New development of 7560 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor AF 19 points Hybrid CMOS AF III Dynamic tracking continuous shooting in live view Top LCD panel

Any tips on processing welcomed,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

JohnP

Carole

Well done Roger, you have got a long way along the learning curve.  Once you get your Bahtinov mask working the sky is the limit (ha ha).

Carole

The Thing

Hi Roger, good attempt with some twiddly stuff showing and plenty of colour.

How did you process it and how many subs were there? Did you guide? Looks like a crop of the picture that you have enlarged making it a bit pixelated, there are several ways of enlarging an image the best of which is drizzle if you have enough subs.

Spot on focus really helps, get the old version of Bahtinov Grabber (v10 from 2009) for your laptop. There are no newer versions and the author has passed away to the great starfield in the sky - but it works very well. There is a version integrated in AstroPhotoTool APT with code form the original author, but the original is best. Of course you can approximate using the LiveView screen on the camera...

Good luck and keep imaging,

Duncan

ApophisAstros

Thanks dunc and all,
I did use apt with 50 exposures x 50 seconds plus 6 darks,6 bias's. I guided for all but 2
subs as I accidentally hit the stop guiding button.
Your right I zoomed in and cropped. Seems very small object for my scope should I
get something like a barlow multiplier not sure with my DSLR setup though.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

It's a very small target Roger.  Using a barlow is not recommended for long exposure astro-imaging as it greatly increases the capture time, and in any case you are using a focal reducer.

50secs is a very short exposure time but you got some good data despite that.  Normally 300secs is the recommended length with a DSLR if you're guiding.  I would not bother to add the unguided ones into the stack.  Best to do what duncan suggests and use drizzle, not that I have ever tried it.

Don't bother to do any processing in DSS it has more of a tendency to mess up the data, best to use something like Photoshop or Pixinsight.

Carole

MarkS

That's a very good start - lovely colours!

Mark