• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter and Great Red Spot 8-April-2017

Started by MarkS, Apr 09, 2017, 02:43:30

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

GPCam2 IMX224 on Celestron C11 with x2 Barlow and ZWO Dispersion Corrector

2000 frames of 5ms exposure time with high frequency jittery seeing.  I'm pleasantly surprised how well this came out given the conditions.  I was getting a frame rate of 70FPS with a crop of 640x480.

The quality of the camera is astonishing.  Remember I measured the read noise at around 0.7e  An individual frame at 5ms exposure time had a higher quality than much slower frame rates on previous cameras.

Mark

Carole

Very nice Mark, my camera only goes up to 30fps (DBK).  The dispersion corrector seems to make a lot of difference, I am struggling with that.

Carole

Fay

Lovely Jupiter Mark, detailed and smooth

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Very nice Mark, my camera only goes up to 30fps (DBK).  The dispersion corrector seems to make a lot of difference, I am struggling with that.

Don't obsess about frames/sec.  From all the forums you get the impression that a high frame rate is key.  But it's not the whole story: if high frame rate results in individual frames that are too dim and have too low signal to noise then you are shooting yourself in the foot and the final stack will be too noisy to do any decent wavelet transform. 

This was my 4th attempt this week.  Previous attempts were ruined by cloud or fog coming over just as I was about to start shooting.

Mark

Kenny

Wow. Really amazing image Mark. Stunning.

The Thing

Lovely Mark, the 11inch has such better resolution than my 8inch SCT. I find short exposure e.g. your 5ms more important than very high frame rates Carole, as its the quick shutter that freezes seeing. A lot of 12ms at 30% gain (my settings usually) frames at 30 fps is as good as at 130fps. And the old worry about planetary rotation for longer captures has been defeated by the fantastic capabilities of Autostakert to line thing up.