• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cone Nebula, Fox fur and Christmas Tree Nebulae

Started by Carole, Mar 25, 2017, 22:33:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Taken at Cairds in strongish wind so am amazed it came out.  Was going to add to it on the 2nd night but the wind was even worse.  Total 1h 55mins 

5 x 900secs Ha
6 x 300secs binned Sii
2 x 300 secs binned Oiii
Total 1hr 55mins
Atik314L SWED80
HEQ5

JohnP

Carole that is surprisingly good given the total time etc. & conditions - its a tough object. I remember trying this back in France way-back-when also with Atik314L & ED80 - just checked & my FOV is like only 1/2 what you got.. :-( Is that a composite or did you use a FR?

john.
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=9358.msg66689#msg66689

Carole

Thank you John.

QuoteI remember trying this back in France way-back-when also with Atik314L & ED80 - just checked & my FOV is like only 1/2 what you got..

I must admit I was surprised to get all this in the FOV but it was definitely the Atik314L & ED80 but yes I was using a focal reducer x 0.8, I should have put that in the specs.

Carole

JohnP

Ah ok and maybe I cropped mine a bit. I'll check my original raws.. .

Carole

I tried to find the old data I did at High Halden in 2014 to add to this but I can only find the final image but not the subs or even the final stacks of the filters.  I am guessing I processed it on my laptop and the subs did not get transferred to the desktop. 

Carole

MarkS

Carole

Carole

I keep looking at this image and thinking it's a bit on the pale and dark side, after all I did process it in my campervan on the laptop with not great lighting, so have brightened it up a bit also colour wise. 

Do you prefer this version, the first one or something in between?

MarkS

Fay

Well caught Carole, I like the second version too
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Phew, thank goodness for that, I do too.  I never know whether the subtle colours are preferred or the brighter colours, sometimes it is difficult to know when to stop when you have been looking at something for ages. 

Thanks Carole